Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a 347 STREET car that will maybe see the track 1 time a month. I would like some input on some of your times and HP with a t5. Also I am getting a clutch dynamics clutch if I stay with the t5.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have seen a 300rwhp/360rwtq 347 that broke the stock t5 after 5 months of daily driving.

I have also seen a 302 with a bunch of gas run 6.70s in the 1/8 once with a t5.

The torque will kill it more than anything . . . it flexes the case.

put a 4 cylinder with a turbo in front of it and it will live for a long time . . . :D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
my friend matlock has went through like 5 of them, and another guy i know has an f1 procharged lx with 650 hp and that's all he's had in it.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
I have the original t5 out of my cobra.

didnt make it very long with 462whp s trim'd 302. 3rd gear is whiped clean and smooth

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm putting together a 347 STREET car that will maybe see the track 1 time a month. I would like some input on some of your times and HP with a t5. Also I am getting a clutch dynamics clutch if I stay with the t5.
Mine lasted 2 years with a clutch dynamics clutch and the power seen in my sig. 3rd gear went boom when I rolled into the throttle one day on the freeway. Boost came up and 3rd went goodbye.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i went a season (8 races) at the local track, with a 347 and slicks, (12.02). no issues and drove it every day to work. i also took it easy shifting.
third gear is a "soft spot" for sure.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
I had 90K miles on my old GT with the stock T5. 508rwhp.488lb-ft. [email protected] at the track on 8.5 ET Drags. 1.58 short. I never powershifted.(just aggressive quick perfect shifts) This is what helped the T5 survive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The key to helping a T5 live is using a soft hitting clutch and try to lighten up the car as much as possible.
AMEN!!!

I ran the stock T5 for 12 years....never had an issue. Put the ceramic clutch in it last year and blew it to pieces after only 5 trips to the track. No doubt a result of the clutch.

I ran in the 10's with about 500hp with a Ford King Cobra cluch for years with killer 60's and good tranny life.....the no-slip clutch was the death of it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A friend of mine ran his original T5 through various iterations and wound up going a best of 10.60 @ 129 through it. He then swapped to a Lentech AOD and immediately went 10.20s and shortly after managed to get into the 9.90s with minor changes.
Another friend ran his street car with a King Cobra and his original T5 to the tune of 11.50s @ 120, the trans lasted longer than the motor.
I ran a stock T5 behind my mild turbocharged 302 for a year, another friend ran his rebuilt T5 for a little over a year behind his GT40 302 + Precision TE61 setup before he sold the car.

The key is a soft clutch and NO powershifting. I had a 4 cyl T5 last behind my bolt on 5.0 for almost an entire year of fairly hard driving, the first time I powershifted it 3rd gear went BOOOM!
SS

·
Registered
270 Posts
Funny you should ask. I just wiped all the teeth off the input shaft in my stock T5 a couple weeks ago. This happened on the transmission's 200th pass behind my mild 393 which runs low 12's - high 11's.

The transmission was in the car when I bought it so I don't know how much abuse it might have taken before I got it. Aside from the input and cluster nothing else was tore up so I replaced them and am hoping for well over 200 more laps before any more problems.

I don't have an aggressive clutch and don't power shift it. I believe these are the keys to keeping it alive.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I have been running mid 11s for two years on mine, and mid 12s for about 2 years before that. I think it depends a lot on the way you shift it. I never powershift mine, just a nice and quick shift.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I have been running mid 11s for two years on mine, and mid 12s for about 2 years before that. I think it depends a lot on the way you shift it. I never powershift mine, just a nice and quick shift.
While powershifting may make a difference...it will not dictate the tranny holding up. I too never powershifted mine. ;)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yeah, I have powershifted a few of them, they are in the scrap pile now. lol. Usually 3rd gear problems. So I kinda take it easy on this one. Gotta feed the kids, not trannys. lol.

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
3rd gear is the most common failure. You can do little things to help this issue but in the end, the gear itself is really small and when the case flexes, 3rd usually goes boom!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts