Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im wondering how much boost can i run on a stock motor (completely stock tb to oil pan). its a track car only not a street car and i only need it to last the rest of the season. what is everyone else running

thanks larry

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I know a guy who was running a On3 Turbo kit on a stock longblock 90 5.0. He took off the heads, installed ARP studs and cometic gaskets and has been running it at 15psi on pump gas for the last year. He did have to install an aftermarket ignition box when he went over 10 psi. He recently sold the car to a young kid who installed an elec fan, overheated it and blew a head gasket. Who knows how long it would have lasted if it hadn't overheated.

The car made 425 rwhp through a c4 on pump gas.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should of mentioned I am running a msd 6AL. I'm running about 15psi right now. But I think I have some boost creep just not 100% sure cause my gauge ony goes to 15

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no not yet just runnin at the track right now. trying to see how fast i can go on a completely stock motor. i have timing set at 14* @15psi and a/f at 11.4

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Been running mine for year and half at 10lbs with ARP studs and Fel 9333's! Probably about 20 track passes and quite a few rolls on the street.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you using a stand alone tuner?
What kind of times are you running?
im running an anderson pms.
best time so far was 11.40 spinning out of the hole with stock suspension. i have a better suspension set up now going back tomorrow to see if i can hook.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Id say 15lbs would be around the limit. Not saying it wouldnt hold up to 18-20lbs, but 15 would probably make it a season at the strip.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im not sure how long its gona hold but i do know its still going strong with about 15 runs on it. my goal is to see how fast i can go on a stock motor and full weight 92 gt budget build

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would say as much boost as you want untill you run over your own crank, then back it off a few lb's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
if you can keep from knocking run as much boost as you can before you split the block. Its far more efficient to upgrade the heads and cam etc etc and move the same air mass with less boost/less heat etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if you can keep from knocking run as much boost as you can before you split the block. Its far more efficient to upgrade the heads and cam etc etc and move the same air mass with less boost/less heat etc.
i agree about heads and cam and i will build a nice motor this winter when i have the $$$ for a better block. right now im having a good time running the same speed or faster than people with more money in their motor than i have in my entire car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts