Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my twin turbo set up running and have tuned it for regular driving/crusing. Its time to get it on the dyno. I have 3psi springs in my gates so 6 psi should be what i am going to see to start. My combo is twin billet 6262, vic jr intake with custom elbow and 90mm tb. I am also running E85. My motor is COMPLETLY stock except intake manifold. So stock headgaskets and bolts from 1989 with 165k miles. Will it handle the 6psi without blowing headgaskets? What kind of boost do people run on stock headgaskets?

·
Registered
468 Posts
6 psi should be fine if your motor is healthy. FYI tho, you don't add pressures together in a twin setup. If you're running 3psi springs in your wastegates, the car will run around 3 psi if not also running a manual boost controller. It's a common misconception for people to think that twin setups run that way, but they don't.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You should just plan on replacing the head gaskets and studding it in the near future. Most people, myself included, have had the stock head gaskets let go shortly after them seeing boost. :rofl:

·
Registered
265 Posts
yep, stock bolt are no good for boost. even stock replacement head gasket should last a good while if you put sutd. tuning help a lot too...

·
Registered
43 Posts
TWO WORDS: Rev limiter!
I've been running my stock motor hard with 10psi for about a year now and it's still tickin.

·
Registered
711 Posts
TWO WORDS: Rev limiter!
I've been running my stock motor hard with 10psi for about a year now and it's still tickin.

Same here, 10psi on stock motor with rev limit at 5200. Its RPM's and detonation (from a bad tune or poor fuel system) that destroy boosted stock motors.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I would be very leary, twin billet 62s have jaw dropping capabilities.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking about trying to put studs in 1 at a time with the heads still on the car or jsut wait till the head gaskets blow and build a new motor with a good block

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Only 5200 RPM? Mine is set at 5800

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ok head studs 1 at a time guy, hell to the no!!! Im not trying to be a jerk but thats a big no no. It will relieve the pressure and let the gaskets decompress and then it will get ugly quick. Not to mention you run the risk of warping a head or the deckk itself. Wait until you have the tme or money or whatever and do it correctly gaskets and studs at the same time. And op twin billet wheeled 62`s? One of those will let your stock junk release the factory smoke. A little overkill imo but i do like overkill. Do let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
the headgaskets should have a good seal since the motor has never been opened.
E85 and a safe tune with low rpms will help it last a little longer.
Twin billet 62s is WAY overkill for a stock block, I like it!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i am planning on building a new motor I was just using this one to get it running.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Looking good!
when you get the new motor build started you can find out how much boost it will take. LOL
or be like most of us and find out and have a reason to build another one

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
We've ran stock motors at 12psi pretty successfully, a nasty WOT third powershift turned it into a bug truck, though.

The same motor ( 97 mountaineer) with an F-cam 1 stock head gasket one 9333pt1 because a bolt broke off in the head and we had to pull it to fix held 17psi for a good 3 months before it let go but it did in great fashion, once again a real hard power shift and it blew 3 cylinders on both sides

worst one though, wastegate line melted.... car was getting sideways in 3rd and 4th gear we were loving it.... look at boost gauge and saw 24.... that one blew all 8, hahah but amazingly still pulled like a son of a bitch even with the head gasket gone.

I'd say 9-10 PSI would be completely safe.... I've heard E7s can hold a bit more boost than GT40ps as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
muchos, my car is getting painted so I couldnt cruise it and i need to fab some braces for the turbos. Im just woundering what to limit my boost to with stock head gaskets and head bolts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did an install a couple years on a stock 95. It was great till it hit 10lbs. Lifted the head and sprayed coolant over and underneath the master cyl.

Pulled the heads and went with 1011-1 Fel Pro's and a set of ARP head bolts. ran it at 14lbs for 2 1/2 years till a hyperpathetic piston finally broke a ringland.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i guess ill keep it under 10psi and hope they hold up for a while till I feel like changing them out

·
Registered
785 Posts
Im daily driving mine at 12 pounds of boost with arp head studs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts