Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm putting my 94 gt on the turbo and was wondering how much boost is safe to run on it, drove everyday. my car is bone stock engine with the five speed and 3.73 gears. 3psi,6psi,9psi, what do yall think.:evilgrin:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
well I have a 89 with a bone stock motor, T-5, and 3.45 gears running 10 psi with no issues. I have even 12 psi before on pump gas but thats about as far as Im willing to go without some race gas. The 89s have forged pistons tho, not sure on the 94s..

like said before its all in the tune. with a "bad" tune 6 psi will pop a headgasket but with a good one you MIGHT be able to run 14. I have run this PMAS blow thru MAF with NO tune on 10 psi daily for over a year.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
well I have a 89 with a bone stock motor, T-5, and 3.45 gears running 10 psi with no issues. I have even 12 psi before on pump gas but thats about as far as Im willing to go without some race gas. The 89s have forged pistons tho, not sure on the 94s..

like said before its all in the tune. with a "bad" tune 6 psi will pop a headgasket but with a good one you MIGHT be able to run 14. I have run this PMAS blow thru MAF with NO tune on 10 psi daily for over a year.
With stock head gasket's to???

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
With stock head gasket's to???

yep !! stock replacement cheap o fel pros with ARP bolts. felpro 9333 pt1 or the 8548 pt2. I cant rember which is on the car now. both are basicly the same one just has a different fire ring. I like them cuz they blow "easy". Rather blow a gasket then hurt a piston lol

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
yep !! stock replacement cheap o fel pros with ARP bolts. felpro 9333 pt1 or the 8548 pt2. I cant rember which is on the car now. both are basicly the same one just has a different fire ring. I like them cuz they blow "easy". Rather blow a gasket then hurt a piston lol
Reason I ask is, Ive got a totally stock 93 coupe that I just put a Glenns dual pump fuel system on and Ive got a PT kit with a 76 precision and Im wondering if I could put it on the car and run like 5-10lbs of boost without hurting it or blowing head gasket's. The motor has never even had the valve covers off of it. Ive also got 60lb injectors and a PMAS maf. Do ya think it will even start with out get it tune first???

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Reason I ask is, Ive got a totally stock 93 coupe that I just put a Glenns dual pump fuel system on and Ive got a PT kit with a 76 precision and Im wondering if I could put it on the car and run like 5-10lbs of boost without hurting it or blowing head gasket's. The motor has never even had the valve covers off of it. Ive also got 60lb injectors and a PMAS maf. Do ya think it will even start with out get it tune first???

I think it will start right up. PMAS really knows what they are doing !!! my "plan" was to use the PMAS maf just to get the car to start, idle, and run it a little to make sure all was good before having it tuned. That and so I could drive the car to be tuned and not use a trailor. Well it ran so good I never got around to haveing it tuned lol. 2 yrs later its still holding together. lol I run low timing 8-10* at very most, run atleast 94 oct and checked the plugs to make sure it was not running lean at the track.

I would NOT push the stock head bolts past 5psi just to be safe tho. easier to replace them IF you dont have to take the head off and send it out to be milled lol

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
i run 14 psi with a stock non forged bottom end. no problems. keep your timing reasonable.. 18 or less, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
cfm not psi ...

A tiny little T3/T4 turbo @ 14 psi on a stock motor isn't flowing as much air as a T76 @ 14 psi on the same motor. PSI is just a measurement of resistance (in the form of pressure inside the intake). A motor that has higher flowing heads, more displacement, matched cam, etc is going to make more hp @ the same boost as a stock motor with the same turbo setup because it is flowing a lot more air. All I am saying is that there is a lot more to consider than just the overall boost level. The entire engine and turbo combination including the octane of gas you plan on running (or if you are planning on running a water/meth injection kit as well) has to be taken into consideration before determining what the 'safe' amount of boost is. Run the T3/T4 @ 14psi w/93octane on a stock motor and you'll have no problems, but you might run into some issues with a T76 @ 14psi with the same gas...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it will start right up. PMAS really knows what they are doing !!! my "plan" was to use the PMAS maf just to get the car to start, idle, and run it a little to make sure all was good before having it tuned. That and so I could drive the car to be tuned and not use a trailor. Well it ran so good I never got around to haveing it tuned lol. 2 yrs later its still holding together. lol I run low timing 8-10* at very most, run atleast 94 oct and checked the plugs to make sure it was not running lean at the track.

I would NOT push the stock head bolts past 5psi just to be safe tho. easier to replace them IF you dont have to take the head off and send it out to be milled lol
I agree. Im thinking that 15yr old head gaskets and stock head bolts arent going to like a lot of boost. Ive got an Dart IE block thats waiting for a rotating asymbly and also a set of stage 4 TW heads that I had on my blower car last year and also a AEM computer that are all just waiting to do something. But at that point Im probaly gonna need a bigger turbo. Ive got a 8 second race car I just wanna build a fast reliable pump gas street car and I figure the turbo would be alot more street friendly than my F1R is. Thanks for the input Red89coupe. The spring in the wast gate is an 8lb. spring so the guy I bought the kit from tell's me. Hope it's not to much. But it sound's like your car is a good combo and youve had good luck with it congrat's. Here's some pic's.....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I agree. Im thinking that 15yr old head gaskets and stock head bolts arent going to like a lot of boost. Ive got an Dart IE block thats waiting for a rotating asymbly and also a set of stage 4 TW heads that I had on my blower car last year and also a AEM computer that are all just waiting to do something. But at that point Im probaly gonna need a bigger turbo. Ive got a 8 second race car I just wanna build a fast reliable pump gas street car and I figure the turbo would be alot more street friendly than my F1R is. Thanks for the input Red89coupe. The spring in the wast gate is an 8lb. spring so the guy I bought the kit from tell's me. Hope it's not to much. But it sound's like your car is a good combo and youve had good luck with it congrat's. Here's some pic's....
yeah they are 15 years old now arent they.. damn Im getting old lol lol.

Thats a SWEET looking coupe !!! Going to be a nice street car for sure..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts