Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to how much boost/timing others are running. I have a SBE 5.0 ‘89lx. Gt40p heads, Novi1000 pulleyed to 7lbs. No intercooler. Timing is locked at 22 degrees with the spout left out. I have a Mr.Freeze kit spraying 50/50 water/methanol and I also put a bottle of VP Octanium in the tank with 93 octane. With an air/fuel ratio in the 10.x:1 range, I’d think it would still be safe in the 10psi zone. How much boost/timing are you running?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Why are you adding octane booster if youre running meth? At 7lbs youre already running plenty of octane with the meth. My car will also be running meth in the spring, but its currently set up to run 16lbs no intercooler on street tune (Holley Sniper), and Ill be running around 22lbs on a race tune with meth. Without the meth I Would take out a degree of timing every psi of boost after 6lbs. My total timing is at 30 degrees and its all in from idle and then pulls it with boost. With the meth I plan to pull 1/2 degree of timing per psi of boost. So at 16lbs with meth Ill be at 22 degrees total at peak boost. Without Id be at 16 degrees total. As far as AFR my cars tune is at 11.7 WOT on street tune. Hope that helps but in my opinion youre more than on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
11:1 compression 347, 93 octane, 10 GPH of water/methanol, PT7675 @ 8-9 psi with FMIC, AFR ~11.0:1, 18 degrees total timing.... I have run higher than 18 degrees, but I worry too much.

My commanded timing at WOT looks something like 20-22 from 2-3k, then 18 timing from 3k+ when the turbo will be fully spooled.

Will knock without water/meth injection. Same shortblock since the early 2000s, haven't blown a head-gasket since I added the two 5 GPH nozzles for water/meth injection like 10 years ago (knock on wood).

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you adding octane booster if youre running meth? At 7lbs youre already running plenty of octane with the meth. My car will also be running meth in the spring, but its currently set up to run 16lbs no intercooler on street tune (Holley Sniper), and Ill be running around 22lbs on a race tune with meth. Without the meth I Would take out a degree of timing every psi of boost after 6lbs. My total timing is at 30 degrees and its all in from idle and then pulls it with boost. With the meth I plan to pull 1/2 degree of timing per psi of boost. So at 16lbs with meth Ill be at 22 degrees total at peak boost. Without Id be at 16 degrees total. As far as AFR my cars tune is at 11.7 WOT on street tune. Hope that helps but in my opinion youre more than on the safe side.
It's overkill with both octane booster and meth, I know. But I'd rather waste a few bucks on that then have the engine spit out a head gasket. The inability to monitor knock in real time makes me somewhat nervous. I've played around with the fuel and timing, for some reason this car likes to be on the rich side with more timing. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1989 GT
1,003 Posts
11:1 compression 347, 93 octane, 10 GPH of water/methanol, PT7675 @ 8-9 psi with FMIC, AFR ~11.0:1, 18 degrees total timing.... I have run higher than 18 degrees, but I worry too much.

My commanded timing at WOT looks something like 20-22 from 2-3k, then 18 timing from 3k+ when the turbo will be fully spooled.

Will knock without water/meth injection. Same shortblock since the early 2000s, haven't blown a head-gasket since I added the two 5 GPH nozzles for water/meth injection like 10 years ago (knock on wood).
What size tank you run? That’s one of my concerns going meth is car becomes a pain always having to top off the meth tank.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Its a small 1-gallon tank mounted in the engine compartment. I rarely fill it as I don't go WOT for very long on the street before i'm going to quick. You could honestly do 5-10 quarter mile runs on a tank without having to refill. I wouldn't let that stop you. I'd rather spend a few minutes a month then 12 hours swapping head gaskets....

Reactions: Mike_S

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Run E85 and ditch the whole meth set-up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Run E85 and ditch the whole meth set-up.
I would go e85 in a heartbeat but there is only one station that sells it in the entire southern half of my state. I run it in my GN but that has a bigger tank and sees less use than the mustang.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
See my sig for my combo.
My timing is similar to strokercharged95GT.
I think I'm in the 23-24 degree range below about 3k rpm and mine slowly tapers off to 19 or 20 degrees around 4500rpm where I hit peak torque.
I run 93 octane during the summer. No intercooler and my WOT AFR is low-mid 11's.
I run a tank of 91 octane non-oxy once a year since that's what I fill up with in the fall before storage. Haven't had any issues with detonation even with the 91.

If you are running meth, 93 octane with booster and below 11:1 AFR, I think you would be able to live with 10lbs boost and no issues.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
On my Mustang I was running 91oct/100% meth at 24psi of boost but it was monitored with a Vampire Knock Detector and it made a tad over 700hp.

On my GN I was running 35psi and 91oct/100% meth. Not sure about the HP but probably around 500hp.

ks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my Mustang I was running 91oct/100% meth at 24psi of boost but it was monitored with a Vampire Knock Detector and it made a tad over 700hp.

On my GN I was running 35psi and 91oct/100% meth. Not sure about the HP but probably around 500hp.

ks
35psi on a GN, that's getting it done. I thought I was pushing it at 30 on e85. What turbo?

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
35psi on a GN, that's getting it done. I thought I was pushing it at 30 on e85. What turbo?
That was a while ago but it was a 58mm that Brian Bisonette spec'd for me. Stock block/cam/head but head studs and good gaskets. I was shooting for 10's but never got to race it before selling it to by this Mustang. Brian also built these 61mm's for my Mustang. Brian knows how to build turbos!

ks

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
11 psi, non intercooled. 91 pump. When boost hits (100kpa) I start at 27* timing at 2000RPM falls to 18*@ 5750 then 19*@ 7500.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was a while ago but it was a 58mm that Brian Bisonette spec'd for me. Stock block/cam/head but head studs and good gaskets. I was shooting for 10's but never got to race it before selling it to by this Mustang. Brian also built these 61mm's for my Mustang. Brian knows how to build turbos!

ks
Very similar to my setup, and same turbo from Bison. Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Curious as to how much boost/timing others are running. I have a SBE 5.0 ‘89lx. Gt40p heads, Novi1000 pulleyed to 7lbs. No intercooler. Timing is locked at 22 degrees with the spout left out. I have a Mr.Freeze kit spraying 50/50 water/methanol and I also put a bottle of VP Octanium in the tank with 93 octane. With an air/fuel ratio in the 10.x:1 range, I’d think it would still be safe in the 10psi zone. How much boost/timing are you running?
Sounds overkill.

I had a similar setup - stock short block & 9 psi from a V3 Si on 93 pump. Using a PMS, I was at 21° & 11.5 AFR... it was quite happy.

Assuming you have the stock EEC because you have timing locked with the SPOUT out, How are you getting 10.x:1 AFR? FMU?

Invest in a PMS at the minimum & enjoy some driveability...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds overkill.

I had a similar setup - stock short block & 9 psi from a V3 Si on 93 pump. Using a PMS, I was at 21° & 11.5 AFR... it was quite happy.

Assuming you have the stock EEC because you have timing locked with the SPOUT out, How are you getting 10.x:1 AFR? FMU?

Invest in a PMS at the minimum & enjoy some driveability...
I figured it was overkill, but I don't have as much experience with mustangs as I do other platforms. I'd rather sneak up on the sweet spot. It is the wife's car, so I'm fine leaving a few hp on the table for a margin of safety. Yes I have an FMU currently. I have a super FMU in a box I might toy with at some point, but the car actually runs quite good as is so I've been working on other projects. Just need to lean it out a little more.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I figured it was overkill, but I don't have as much experience with mustangs as I do other platforms. I'd rather sneak up on the sweet spot. It is the wife's car, so I'm fine leaving a few hp on the table for a margin of safety. Yes I have an FMU currently. I have a super FMU in a box I might toy with at some point, but the car actually runs quite good as is so I've been working on other projects. Just need to lean it out a little more.
At least install an MSD BTM so your wife can enjoy some driveability

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At least install an MSD BTM so your wife can enjoy some driveability
I may do that at some point, along with ditching the fmu for 42lb injectors and a tune.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are worried about detonation, $125 will buy you a J&S Gauge and knock sensor. Should be easy to install.
Grand National guys bought a lot of these. A/F gauge is also good, but pricey for Autometer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts