Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my belt off today to swap for a gatorback belt after having the blower on for 6k miles. I found a nice amount of dust on the bolt near the alternator and have a nice amount in the bracket also. Just wondering if this is normal.

·
Registered
919 Posts
When I had an S-trim on a 5.0 there was absolutely no dust. The pulley was clean. If you have dust you're getting belt slip I think.

·
Registered
432 Posts
10 000km and no brake dust at all......getting retuned this friday and going from 5lbs of boost upto 9-10lbs with a RR pulley. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Black01GT4.6 said:
I took my belt off today to swap for a gatorback belt after having the blower on for 6k miles. I found a nice amount of dust on the bolt near the alternator and have a nice amount in the bracket also. Just wondering if this is normal.
Sorry, this is kind of off topic but I wanted to know what you thought about the gatorback belt. My Vortech is sitting in the garage and I was wondering if I should just keep Vortech's belt in my trunk and go straight for the gatorback.

Tom

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I swapped from the Vortech Belt to the Gatorback Belt and to be honest I havent' seen any difference. I actually think the Vortech Belt is a better made belt compared to the Gatorback. I just jumped to the Gatorback because everyone said how great it is and that is prevents or at least minimizes slippage.
Well, I never really had any slippage or belt dust with the Vortech belt but gave the Gatorback a try anyways. It works and hasn't caused any problems but there is no improvement whatsoever over the Vortech Belt.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: How much belt dust is normal on a blower car?

97TomGT said:
Sorry, this is kind of off topic but I wanted to know what you thought about the gatorback belt. My Vortech is sitting in the garage and I was wondering if I should just keep Vortech's belt in my trunk and go straight for the gatorback.

Tom
Might as well go with the gatorback to be sure theres no slippage.

·
Registered
432 Posts
my vortech came with a gatorback belt........must have gotten lucky

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
How can the sound be better?? I have switched from the Vortech Belt to the Gatorback and there was no difference in sound or otherwise.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sting said:
How can the sound be better?? I have switched from the Vortech Belt to the Gatorback and there was no difference in sound or otherwise.
I don't know - but - there was a difference in sound immediately. A more pronounced whistle without a doubt. With the gates belt, the blower was virtually silent until I got the RPM's up a bit. With the gatorback, it has a nice sound from idle on up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Gatorbacks suck with the RR pulley ... they cancel eachother out ! Just go with a normal belt if youre getting an RR pulley ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts