Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm collecting parts for my turbo build and was wondering how many of you guys, especially with 500+ (I guess that's most turbo guys haha) run oil coolers. I'm thinking this is probably a good idea, but just thought I'd see what everybody does/uses. thanks:salute:

·
Registered
582 Posts
im in the 800 hp range and i dont run one. my oil never goes over 200 degrees (thats on a 2 hour road trip) with a 8 quart system i have.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I'm looking to install one now. 900hp and looking for 1000+. I never found a straight answer for how hot is to hot for oil. Mine usually runs about 200-210 but can go higher in warner weather or agressive driving.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
do you guys both have oil temp gauges?

the eventual plan is to get at or near 800rw (408 turbo) on 93, likely using a 7qt pan. I do want to be able to take it on long trips w/o worrying about overheating.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I run the 7qt canton pro drag pan. I run 2 gauges. One in the pan and one in the oil out to the turbo.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could I use the radiator for the oil cooler? I've got a 6spd and the fittings on the radiator for the auto tranny are just capped off, could I just route the oil through that (obviously clean it out and such before) or would it really be better to have a stand-alone designated oil cooler?

appreciate the info stangjumper!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Could I use the radiator for the oil cooler? I've got a 6spd and the fittings on the radiator for the auto tranny are just capped off, could I just route the oil through that (obviously clean it out and such before) or would it really be better to have a stand-alone designated oil cooler?

appreciate the info stangjumper!
No ut will not flow enough. You need to run -10 lines.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I dont run one, honestly your oil is cooled mostly by the coolant system on a street driven car when just cruising with ocasional blasts. They only time I could see the actually need for one is for autox. I run a relocation kit and with the lines and a larger filter the capacity is 7 quarts. No issues 550-650rwhp.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
if you go on long highway trips through the mountains and stuff like that it will help also. im running a large one on my car. as long as its installed correctly you wont have any issues and it can do nothing but help

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input guys, sounds like for normal driving it wouldn't be "necessary", but what if I was going to do something like the Texas Mile? I do want to take a crack at that eventually.

if you go on long highway trips through the mountains and stuff like that it will help also. im running a large one on my car. as long as its installed correctly you wont have any issues and it can do nothing but help
when you say large, what size do you mean? could you post some pics of your setup?

I was thinking something like a cobra R cooler, 6" x 32" if I did one.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I am moving my remote oil filter and installing a oil cooler today. Here is the cooler I am using.
Derale Cooling Products 15851 - Derale Performance Plate and Fin Engine Oil Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Disregard the zipties. I am checking to see if it clears the bumper cover.

The fog light opening in the Cobra bumper cover is empty and the cooler sits right agains the covers opening allowing a direct shot of air onto it.

I would like to put a temp gauge on it. Next week I am doing the last lef of the Hot Rod Power Tour; up to Oklahoma 280mi and back another 300mi.

For s&g's I installed a better power steering cooler. Fits nicely between the a/a and the core support.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I have spent all of my mindshare on trying to keep engine and Trans cool.

I envy you guys with the newer car and more room. LX's are tough.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I have spent all of my mindshare on trying to keep engine and Trans cool.

I envy you guys with the newer car and more room. LX's are tough.
Run E85 and the engine temps stay in check pretty easily

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Run E85 and the engine temps stay in check pretty easily
My engine temps are ok now that I got the trans cooler out from in front of the radiator. Stays 180-205 depending on wind direction and load.

E85 isn't easy to get in central NJ and my car is tuned to run on C16.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts