Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if i can do this swap at my house, what tools do I need, and how hard is it really? I'm very mechanically inclined, and am usually good with things of this nature, i'm just curious how you keep the valves from falling into the combustion chamber when the heads are on the car?

Thanks,
Jarrod

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
If you don't have compressed air and a fitting for the spark plug hole to pressurize the cylinder and hold the valves shut, you can use rope to fill the cylinder and drive the piston up against it. That is unfortunately a PITA but I did it. The "rope trick" took far longer to get right each time than actually changing the springs did, plus I went through two spring compressor bars in the process. I only did it because I was installing a new intake and I anticipated some higher revs and the stock springs were over 110k old.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
if you dont have an air compressor, do yourself a favor and rent/borrow one. Also I believe a valve spring compressor is one of the tools you can rent for free from Autozone.

I did this same job about 4 months ago and it went pretty well with a compressor that I rented.

Its nice now benig able to rev higher than 5200 without the valves floating :eek:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
All horse crap. I've done this twice on my car with no rope, no shop air, no nothing. the positive valve seals will likely keep the valves from falling all the way down as they will catch on the keeper grooves, plus they fit tightly. All you have to do is have the cylinder you are doing on TDC, take your time and you will be fine. I used a screw in style spring compressor, which will only work on single coil springs. Wack the top of the spring a couple times with a socket and hammer, compress the spring while holding the valve in the seat (pulling upwards), and once you have enough room to remove the keepers, gently wiggle the spring around until the keepers free themselves from the valves. Use a magnet to remove them. It can be tricky and frustating if you are like me, but it isn't that bad really. Once you compress and install the new spring, drop the keepers in and pull upwards to rotate back and forth seat everything. Then decompress and let the bottom of the spring seat into the head. Should take a couple hours.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
"All horse crap" LOL:rolleyes:

I tried it without using air or rope and there was no WAY I could compress the springs enough relative to the valve stem to get the keepers to release, which is precisely the same reason the rope deal was such a PITA. This is on a stock '92 5.0 with a lever/fulcrum type spring compressor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts