Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friends 2000 GT got stolen question inside

My friends 2000 gt vert got stolen on Thursday night, I was wondering how good the pats anti theft system really is. I always though that you needed the key with the chip in it to start the car. Other than a flatbed are there other ways of defeating the pats system. :confused:

·
Registered
622 Posts
My question is....what controls this system? Is it embedded in the EEC-V? I'm putting a 4.6 DOHC into my 88 and I've got a Clifford alarm to install in it so I don't need the PATS.:confused:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yes, you would need a tow truck in order to steal our cars. Unless you had a NGS or a WDS(Ford diagnostics tools). When you program a PATS key, the PATS module makes you wait ten minutes before allowing you acess to the module. A person would need a PATS key cut the same as your key, and the daignostic tool. So it would almost be inposible!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If they want your car bad enough, you won't be able to stop them unless you can park your car inside the vault at Fort Knox.

Park in a well lighted area. Keep valuables out of sight. A LoJack helps (but even THAT isn't foolproof). Cars with LoJack get stolen, but theives will then park the stolen car in a public parking lot for a while and watch it to see if it has a LoJack (no sense leading police back to the Chop Shop until you are sure).

Finally, to answer your question on PATS, since introducing it, Mustangs have dropped way down on the list of "Most Stolen Cars".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the info guys, I talked to my cousin last night he works for Ford and he said that you could program a new key but it would take time like 10-15 min as 98muscrat said. But he said there is also another way by hooking something up to the computer and it would override the pats system. Not really sure how he explained it but an average car thief isn't gonna have the equipment. I hope for my friends sake they find the car cause it was a lease that he was going to buy out next May. If they don't find it now he's got 2 years of payments he's been making that are gonna be down the toilet.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Pats system can actually be bypassed fairly Easy. :mad:
(Dont Ask Me how though Cause I wont Tell ya For the Sake of our Cars)

·
Registered
116 Posts
veech said:
The Pats system can actually be bypassed fairly Easy. :mad:
(Dont Ask Me how though Cause I wont Tell ya For the Sake of our Cars)
Well that just plain suxs!

From your vin the key code can be found and than a key made, that would get them into the car, but again they would need to have access to the Ford comps.

Funny story, My brother knows someone who is in law enforcement, and they know someone who is friends of someone who is a manager at a dealer. Well they got my vin from the DMV from my name (easier with plate) and than punched that into the Ford Oasis got key code and made me a spare key (non-pats type).

My brother comes home and says here want a spare key, to your car, i was like WTF. Than he told me, it was funny but i was like oh great any shady people that know people can get into my car easly!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If somone wants your car bad enough, they will get it!

·
Registered
394 Posts
dude,
i think youve been watching too much of gone in 60 secs....even if you could pull a key code through the vin.....you still have to program it into PATS....and to do that it would take an NGS or WDS....and each key has a chip embeded in it...thats why you dont have to wait for weeks for new keys like your movie gone in 60 secs

there is a way to program a new key without NGS or WDS though....if PATS is in the programmable mode, which can be turned off at the dealership, all it takes is two original keys....cycle each original key in the "on" position once..than the new key within 5 secs of each other...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts