Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Seasoned User
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, currently finishing my front end install and have a few questions. Is the correct torque for a Bilstein strut nut 85lbs? What socket is everyone using that is still allowing you to secure the shaft while turning the nut? Was told by a tech line to give it a quick zap with a impact and it would be fine- thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for the help :salute:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't remember the torque off hand, but I used a crows foot wrench end on my torque wrench when I did mine. About the only way to keep the shaft from turning.

·
Registered
683 Posts
From Maximum Motorsport:

"Tighten the strut top retaining nut snug with a 24mm
boxed end wrench while holding the strut shaft with an
8mm allen wrench. Once snug, tighten the strut shaft
to 65 ft-lbs with an 8mm allen wrench bit on the end of
a torque wrench, while holding the nut with the 24mm
boxed end wrench."

If the strut doesn't accept an allen wrench bit just use the zip gun.

·
Seasoned User
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Maximum Motorsport:

"Tighten the strut top retaining nut snug with a 24mm
boxed end wrench while holding the strut shaft with an
8mm allen wrench. Once snug, tighten the strut shaft
to 65 ft-lbs with an 8mm allen wrench bit on the end of
a torque wrench, while holding the nut with the 24mm
boxed end wrench."

If the strut doesn't accept an allen wrench bit just use the zip gun.

Just tried this but the strut shaft inner hex is starting to deform at about 40lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
The reason Bilstein says to not use an impact gun is due to the internal friction they can cause in the dampers inner seals. In the Vorshlag video, note that Terry holds the strut shaft so that it can not spin while the impact is tightening the nut. This is really important.

If you can't hold the shaft to keep it from spinning, then do this.

Have the full weight of the car on the tires. This will cause the strut shaft shoulder to push up against the bottom of the c/c plate bearing. This adds a lot of friction to help keep the shaft from spinning.

Hold the center of the strut shaft with an allen wrench. Use a box end wrench to tighten the nut until it stops (no clearance between the bottom of the nut and the shaft spacer below it).

In most cases, you can then use a torque wrench on the crow's foot. There will be enough friction in the system. It is very important to push down as hard as possible on the allen wrench so that it doesn't climb out of the hex hole in the strut stub.

If the allen wrench does start to rotate in the hole, use an impact gun on the nut, but only pull the trigger for 1 second max. Since the nut only has to rotate maybe 5-10 degrees at most, holding the gun for longer will only heat up the seals inside the strut.

If you are installing struts which are adjustable, they will probably have a hollow shaft for the . If you use an impact gun on them, there is a very good chance that the top of the shaft will shear off. Don't do it.

·
Seasoned User
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason Bilstein says to not use an impact gun is due to the internal friction they can cause in the dampers inner seals. In the Vorshlag video, note that Terry holds the strut shaft so that it can not spin while the impact is tightening the nut. This is really important.

If you can't hold the shaft to keep it from spinning, then do this.

Have the full weight of the car on the tires. This will cause the strut shaft shoulder to push up against the bottom of the c/c plate bearing. This adds a lot of friction to help keep the shaft from spinning.

Hold the center of the strut shaft with an allen wrench. Use a box end wrench to tighten the nut until it stops (no clearance between the bottom of the nut and the shaft spacer below it).

In most cases, you can then use a torque wrench on the crow's foot. There will be enough friction in the system. It is very important to push down as hard as possible on the allen wrench so that it doesn't climb out of the hex hole in the strut stub.

If the allen wrench does start to rotate in the hole, use an impact gun on the nut, but only pull the trigger for 1 second max. Since the nut only has to rotate maybe 5-10 degrees at most, holding the gun for longer will only heat up the seals inside the strut.

If you are installing struts which are adjustable, they will probably have a hollow shaft for the . If you use an impact gun on them, there is a very good chance that the top of the shaft will shear off. Don't do it.

Thanks for the response Jack. Do you happen to know the torque spec for the nut?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts