Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming off of corners I am getting way more wheel spin than before and I can't tell if I'm spinning one or both wheels. The other day I came to a stop and gave it some gas and slipped the clutch and put down two of the prettiest black marks you have ever seen so the diff I guess is working, at least in a straight line. I have gone to bigger sway bars on both the front and rear and I was wondering if due to the stiffer rear bar the inside wheel will not droop enough to get good traction sorta like a fwd car dog legging around corners. Any thoughts or ideas guys?

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can check breakaway torque by jacking one rear wheel up clear of the ground, putting the transmission in neutral, and measuring the torque it takes to turn the lifted wheel. There is a tool or adapter that allows your torque wrench to be concentric with the axle, but IIRC a dead/dying clutch or cone LSD won't put up too much of a fight (maybe 50 ft-lbs or less) so for a first cut you won't be all that interested in accuracy. Meaning you can just use one of the lug nuts, testing up to no more than the lug nut's own installation torque. You will want to chock a tire against rolling in either direction.

Norm

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Also check your axle endplay, if it's in the single digit thousandths, your LSD will be functioning about as well as it can, and the lower the number the better. If it's up above 0.15 on each axle, you'll notice a degradation. Remember to remove your rear calipers before you take your measurements.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So even if it's worn out it will put down 2 even black marks?

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
When it's completely shot, it'll do a one-wheel peel, but there's a lot of functionality between "perfect" and "worn out", and you'll notice it in corners long before it's totally gone.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it's completely shot, it'll do a one-wheel peel, but there's a lot of functionality between "perfect" and "worn out", and you'll notice it in corners long before it's totally gone.
Got it and thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts