Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got my car back and was hoping the noises I was hearing from the exhaust was b/c of the tranny going bad but it wasn't. My good friend white99GT says the car is just echoing off of itself due to the length of the MAC tail-pipes and mufflers and that changing them out would fix the problem. Everytime I hit the gas or accelerate under low conditions I hear this "echoing" sound mostly because of the headers I guess. I was wondering if swapping to Magnapacks would fix the problem or if I will need new tail-pipes all together.

Any help is appreciated as always.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What do you mean by echoing sound. I've had both Mac and Magnaflows. I know that when I decelerate ,it sounds like the the car decelerates twice. First from the driver's side then from the passenger's side. I think it sounds cool.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its like a loud humming sound or high pitched sound coming from the exhaust.

·
Registered
176 Posts
OH, that's the dreaded aftermarket Drone. My Macs did that so loudly that I thought my ears would bleed.:D I finally exchanged it for Magnaflows, which still have a little drone but not much more than stock. Some people have had success with aftermarket sound dampening materials like this

http://www.b-quiet.com/

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I am yet to hear an aftermarket 2 1/2" cat back that doesn't drone. The more a car is lowered, the worse it is. OR X's and H's make it a lot worse.
That's one of the reasons Ford sticks with the 2 1/4" pipes, even on higher HP models. (except 2000 R)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think this is drone b/c you can almost hear it at all speeds. Drone is like a whining noise, this is a loud high pitched humming sound... I had 2 chamber flows and an Offroad-X on my 96GT and it NEVER sounded like this inside the car. I didn't notice the "humming" sound until I got the headers put on. Guess it changed the exhaust note or something. I'll try the Magnapacks and see what they do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts