Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been daily driving my car. It's fun, but not it's intent. (My F250 Super Duty 4x4 is in the shop. I should have it back next week). I leave around 5am and get to work just before 6am. Love the cam lope, Thank you Ed Curtis. I get compliments from car guys. Most people say they "could hear me coming". Is there a way to silence a 302 with a cam, shorty headers, an X-pipe and a Flowmaster cat back without losing any power or torque? (My car is 30+ years old. It's not tested for emissions anymore) Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have used resonators on almost all of my cars. Plus I am a huge fan of the Borla touring style mufflers. With those you can run long tubes but you can more than live with the noise. Any sort of horse power loss will be minimal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
I run a pro chamber as a mid pipe and it definitely quiets things down a good bit. Just make sure if you order it, the vendor actually has it in stock.

Dynomax makes a turbo muffler which deadens the sound quite a bit. Really any muffler that actually muffles the sound will probably take off a few hp, which you’ll most likely never notice. Kinda the compromise you’ll have to make.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Easy. Electric cutout + stock muffler/resonators.

My cars are pretty tough to quiet too. I tried going to superturbo mufflers, but they really didn't do the trick. I have a turbo on the car, no cats, and 3" exhaust. That, I think, is the big problem. Cats, resonators, and mufflers all quiet the car, but the bigger the diameter of the exhaust the less they can really do.

I plan to pull the superturbos and put a stock muffler from something that will fit back on the car. I have a single 3.5" cutout, before the it Y's from the downpipe out to dual 3" pipes for the cat back. That's where my cutout is.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I have Bullets in series with my Ultraflo's after my Turbo's, so the sound is extra muffled but it's still not OEM quiet. If you want OEM quiet then you probably need an OEM Muffler.

I didn't want a loud car either when I put this together. I hate a loud car at this point, but it's way quieter than your typical performance Mustang.

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Helmholtz chamber, which almost all OEM mufflers have built into them. That's how stock mufflers are so quiet these days.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have Bullets in series with my Ultraflo's after my Turbo's, so the sound is extra muffled but it's still not OEM quiet. If you want OEM quiet then you probably need an OEM Muffler.

I didn't want a loud car either when I put this together. I hate a loud car at this point, but it's way quieter than your typical performance Mustang.

View attachment 1053316
What tails are those?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We're suppose to get snow on Friday. (I can spin the Nittos without even trying leaving a redlight). My truck should be done this week. I may just wait until I go turbo. My car wasn't built to be a daily driver. It's a weekend street car. (I have to replace the heater core. Found that out when I tried to use the heater yesterday).

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
When I went from Flowmasters to Dynomax Ultra Flo's I thought my car had an extra set of mufflers put on it. I couldn't believe how much quieter it was and didn't drone in lower RPM's.

The loudest my car ever was with shorty headers, pace setter H-pipe, Flowmaster exhaust.

Now I have 1 3/4th long tubes, dr gas x pipe, and ultraflo catback. It's crazy how quiet it is. My Vortech is most of my car noise now.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That's insane. Flowmasters may be a broad category, but the ones I've had are chambered and the Ultraflos are a straight through design. Huge difference and the Ultraflos were monstrously loud on my car, despite a turbo.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
That's insane. Flowmasters may be a broad category, but the ones I've had are chambered and the Ultraflos are a straight through design. Huge difference and the Ultraflos were monstrously loud on my car, despite a turbo.
Flowmaster brand mufflers have always been so damn loud. I just had that with my F-150 exhaust. I put a chambered muffler on that came with a kit and my wife HATED it. I swapped it out with a magnaflow and it immediately cut 20% of volume and 50% of the drone.

But like you said, depends on the type. I think most flowmaster mufflers aren't really made for flow. I feel like they're made for sound as a priority.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Mine's just a 4 cyl (2.3) but the above post was right about turbo's quieting the exhaust. On mine, at one point the turbo had failed so I just made a pipe to adapt to the manifold to the downpipe so I could drive it back & forth to work. It was twice as loud and 1/3 the power. Ultraflow 3" single (LH side) with stinger 3" tail pipe. The only thing is, however, that the turbocharger (T3) whistles quite loud at certain shaft speeds, which just happens to be just off idle at about 15% throttle. The whistle is kinda loud but you get real used to it and it's just the turbine whistle. Compressor makes all kinds of weird noises but only at 15+ psi.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Mine's just a 4 cyl (2.3) but the above post was right about turbo's quieting the exhaust. On mine, at one point the turbo had failed so I just made a pipe to adapt to the manifold to the downpipe so I could drive it back & forth to work. It was twice as loud and 1/3 the power. Ultraflow 3" single (LH side) with stinger 3" tail pipe. The only thing is, however, that the turbocharger (T3) whistles quite loud at certain shaft speeds, which just happens to be just off idle at about 15% throttle. The whistle is kinda loud but you get real used to it and it's just the turbine whistle. Compressor makes all kinds of weird noises but only at 15+ psi.
Turbo noises are good noises though.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I made a X-flow muffler that is ahead of the Ultraflows so I'm running three mufflers and Helmholtz chambers on each pipe before the X-flow muffler. The loudest thing on my car is the valvetrain and the electric motor for the crankcase evacuation sustem.

ks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts