Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car smokes only when revving the engine. When it comes back to idles it stops. A compression test and it was fine. I'm going to do a leak down in a few days. I'm tying to figure out if my rings are gone or if my turbo seal is blown again or valve seals bad.

I pulled the turbo and there is oil on the manifold flange of the turbo and leaking down from the downpipe side right at the V band clamp. There is also oil coming out of the wastegate flange to the downpipe but I'm not sure where is really coming from since its just a drip and I cleaned it out before starting it. My turbo seal blew before and sent about 1.5 quarts into my exhaust so I removed the exhaust all the way up to the downpipe it only smokes when revving.

The only reason I think it could be the turbo again is because we didn't figure out why the seal blew first time till we put it back on again, but I thought we caught the problem before the seal when out again. I'm still sending the turbo to be checked out again. This smoke is worrying me, I don't know if its left over oil in the system, or a bigger problem. I also have smoke coming out of my breathers on the valve covers to make things more confusing.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
what size oil feed line for the turbo? Too big and it will cause that issue but you can put a restrictor in it to stop it. just a thought.

To me it sounds like valve seals. I just pulled my heads for this reason. I would get smoke bad when reving the motor from idle, taking off from a stop light or as soon as I let off the cas on a WOT pull. it didnt smoke while on the gas just when I let off.

IF you have the headers off its pretty easy to tell. The exhaust ports on my heads were really WET on 4 cyls and the other 4 were dry.

Mine still smokes a tad, Im SURE it needs rings after 120k N/A miles 15 bottles of nitrous and 15k with the turbo lol lol lol

·
Registered
429 Posts
If it's the heads it's not going to cause blow by out of the valve covers... A leak down or compression test are both done in a static low speed environment. You can have a engine that is in trouble pass the static tests and still be broken. Most of the hypereutectic pistons break in the ring land, the ring will be stable at the 50-100rpm cranking test but fail while running at real rpm.
How long has it been turbocharged?
How much boost/ timing is in it?
Do you understand/know what detonation is and what it sounds like?
Can you pull the plugs and look to see if any are burning oil? You could have two separate problems

1 - 4 of 4 Posts