Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bug has been biteing me really bad lately. I use to frequent Deals Gap when I had my CBR 954(sold), every other weekend it seemed. Now I want to cut some corners in my cobra. I have been replacing a lot of suspension parts in preperation for this. I am in NC, so how do I get started in SCCA SOLO events??

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Find an event (scca.com) and then go!

steve (13 weekends of road racing so far this year)

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the money, there's no better rush than autocross. It's best when you find your local chapter has a small turnout, so you can get the most runs in for the time spent. Be prepared to replace your tires after a full season of driver education. It'll be worth it, though, if you're into it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thank spoul for the advise. The one that I was checking out mainly for 240's and 350z's was intense. To me it deffinitly seemed like a better deal over the 1/4 mile. More runs, more time on the track and just more attention to detail. I loved it! I will still like to hit the 1/4 mile up here n there, but Auto X looks to be my new poison :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
prochargedsnake

I live in NC as well. I'm in Greenville, travel to Greensboro, and Granite/Salisbury all the time.

Look into the Triad Sports Car Club...their website. Also check out Tar Hill Sports Car Club. NASA also holds some events at VIR which is not to far.

A bunch of events are held at the Greensboro Coliseum and in Winston Salem. I know one is coming up at UNCG soon. Some are also held in Sanford, Wilmington, and Danville (VIR)

Just check the web and the schedules. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Limpfox- you may want to check out the NEPA chapter of the SCCA. I belong to the CPR (central PA region) and we hold our events in either State College or in Phillipsburg. I know there are events held at hershey park and the Farm Show complex as well. The website for CPR is http://www.scca-cpr.com

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank's for all the info guys. The hard part I'm having right now is, what class does my car fit in? Greensboro is just an hour away straight down I-85 , I'd really like to check out the upcoming event there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You could also start on the road racing path. There is a race at Summit Point, WV Labor day weekend and upcoming events at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and New Jersey for SCCA. NASA has Pocono Labor day weekend and events at NJ and the Glen after that. NASA almost always has PDX type events during their racing events.

steve

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
You could also start on the road racing path. There is a race at Summit Point, WV Labor day weekend and upcoming events at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and New Jersey for SCCA. NASA has Pocono Labor day weekend and events at NJ and the Glen after that. NASA almost always has PDX type events during their racing events.

steve
He could. He could also look into basketweaving and competitive gerbil breeding, for all the relevance any of them have to a specific question regarding how to get started in autocrossing. :rofl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can autocross pretty much anything, too (except big ol' honkin' 4x4 trucks).

·
Registered
192 Posts
At one of the first autocrosses I went to we were taking turns running a military Hummer that someone had out for the weekend for testing. The best time was ~10 seconds slower than the slowest run in anything else that day.

IOW you can autocross a 4x4.

steve

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I know our region will not allow such things. The only truck I had ever seen was a dakota sport. My buddy tried to take his SRT Jeep up a few weeks ago and was told he could not run it.

BTW- Ciotti that picture is SWEET!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts