Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of 15 x 8.5 Weld draglights from a friend for $60. They were sitting outside for a couple of years and have stains that wont come out. I have tried everything from aluminum wheel cleaners to goof-off. The stains look sort of like dried up chocolate milk and dont appear to have any edges when you drag your fingernail accross them (I would think if the stains had "lips" that may indicate the plating was peeling off or something). I'm stumped and I cant find anyone who knows what to do. I am pretty sure that some sort of extreme polishing/buffing process is needed, but dont know where to start with alum wheels. These are you everyday Weld wheels with polished aluminum (the cleaners with the acid in them say not for use with polished alum) and the little round holes. Help me out, the sooner I get them ready the sooner I can launch at 6000 with the slicks im getting!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ouch

You might get a better response posting this in "The Body Shop" forum. Personally, I would find someone who knows how to use a dremel and a polishing bit or some other tool and have them professionally done. I had four done for $75 (friend).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey guy I dont know whether it is still available or not but there used to be a product called semichrome it came in a tube and was a paste, kind of expensive but it sure cleaned the hell out of aluminium. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
simichrome polish

Works really well on removing surface discolorations, and polishing up dull finishes. It is a paste that you apply with a cloth.

Get it at an auto parts store. I used it with a rag, and a little elbow grease. Turns rusty chrome wheels into blinding chrome wheels in only a couple minutes a wheel. Doesn't leave noticeable swirl marks, scratches, or anything other than a gleaming polish. Removes the surface, though, so I polish, wash, and then wax the wheel to protect it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Maybe try letting them soak in a bath of vinigar. It's a pretty cheap route but you will have to get a bunch of vinigar.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone. I went out and bought three different alum wheel polishes and cleaners and went to town on the wheels, scrubbing like crazy. Nothing. Broke out the buffer. Nothing. Then I said screw it and took the wheels to the Benz make-ready shop thats behind my house (very useful) and showed the wheels to one of the guys (basically all these guys do is buff clean Benzes that have just had bodywork). These people have the most amazing cleaning products known to man, I have witnessed it time and time again I just forgot to go there in the first place. He whipped out a rag and a white bottle of polish, casually wiped across the stains and they instantly came off! I couldnt believe it after just trying every over the counter polish known to man and failing. I think its like drugs, you have to be a body shop person or something to buy good cleaning products without a prescription, it must be illegal to have them if you are just a civilian. The stuff was made by "PRO" and was called" aluminum wheel polish". It isn't sold in stores and didnt have acid in it. I paid him $21 to polish both wheels. Now I need some Dot slicks for 8.5 x 15 welds. Any ideas on sizes and where to buy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts