Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a B&G kit and I cant see how the 3.5 inch down pipe is going to get in there with the passenger side header installed. I can get the downpipe in with the header pulled forward but how do I secure the header with the downpipe in there.

I already cut the swap bar mount and I have to bend the frame rail pinch weld, which I was hoping I wouldn't have to but the turbo flange sits on the rail.

I have AC so it is really tight in there.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
144 Posts
Un bolt the engine mount from k member and jack up the motor by the oil pan but make sure you use a 2 by 4 so u dont dent your oil pan shud fit no problem

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The passenger side mount or both of them?

Eric

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can just do the passenger but I do both to rock the motor to make it easy

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Radimm, yes that is how I got it to fit. I have a really old kit like revision 1 and when I called and spoke to Brian he said there might be a chance it was all hand made and would need the cover removed and AC lines and accumulator bent out of the way which it did but I got it in there so now I can move ahead with the completion of it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I use stock plug wires or should I get a set of make your own and run them under the headers?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Im glad someone posted this. Ive had my B&G kit for 3 years and i still have no idea how anyone with a 3.5" downpipe installed theres with there headers installed.

Ive had my intake and valve covers off and theres still no way it was going in.

First few times i would install the down pipe first then have a friend hold it up while struggling to bolt in the header below it. This method usually ends up with leaks if using straight silicone, which becomes extremely frustrating.

I now install my headers and turbo on the engine stand and lower the motor into the bay and install the downpipe just before the motor makes contact.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The urethane motor mounts are a must have for this kit. What I did was remove valve cover, unbolt the accumulator and push it to the passenger side door and then the pipe slid in. Still had to turn it a bit but the pipe was wrapped to.

Glad I could help some others out as well.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coilz, do you use an exhaust gasket? I'm going to use silicone but if it won't seal I don't want to mess with that. Would rather only do this once.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just finished installing one for my brother. No issues with the headers on. Just have to work it around to find the right angle.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the newer kits have different bends for the DP. I picked up my hotside in 06 so it was a revision 1 setup and there have been quite a few changes which aide in install. I am glad I got it in though, or at least got it solved to get it installed. I also have full AC to work around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts