Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck running turbo wrap in their car that actually gets driven (7 days a week rain shine etc etc) without it destroying the headers? Id like the headers wrapped and the dp, would be nice to keep temps down and maybe not destroy spark plug wires every day.

Side note if anyone has a pdf or something of on3 install guide and emails me it I will love you long time

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone had any luck running turbo wrap in their car that actually gets driven (7 days a week rain shine etc etc) without it destroying the headers? Id like the headers wrapped and the dp, would be nice to keep temps down and maybe not destroy spark plug wires every day.

Side note if anyone has a pdf or something of on3 install guide and emails me it I will love you long time
I wouldn't worry so much about wrapping the manifolds. Get 100ft of wrap, wrap the downpipe and crossover pipe, and then get a turbo blanket. AutoZone or Advance sells sleeved wrap that comes in a 12ft roll, I just cut them about 6" each and slid them over my plug wires. A lot cheaper than buying wire sleeves and works just as good.
I have the on3 install on my pc at home. I can also take pics of the sleeves I made

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
You do not want to use cheap heat shield on plug wires. Anything that is shiny or metallic can cause arc'ing.

Race Part Solutions sells the ones I have on my car, which I think may have been made by Taylor:

Thermo Tec Products, Plug Wire Insulators | RacePartSolutions.com

I use them on my car and they have worked well. The other option you have is to run the 3 and 4 cylinders under the header. I made custom MSD wires with 90 boots and it tucks them close to the engine block.

1 & 2 are the difficult ones. The #2 wire is a the toughest, I doubled up the boots I reference above to get some more length and it works.

I have a B&G kit but the routing of the pipes is similar.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just worried since I read horror stories of the wrap holding moisture and rusting everything,true? And id buy a set of 8 boots if I could find one

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
You can by two sets of 4 to get to the 8, I think that is why they come in those increments.

Yes, generally it is not advised to wrap headers, and I think if you have everything setup right you shouldn't have to. Most vendors won't warranty headers that have been wrapped.

Protect your wires, and keep everything away from the hotside and you should be ok.

I have my downpipe carefully wrapped because it comes in very close proximity to the firewall and transfered quite a bit of heat before I did it. I wrapped it all the way to the muffler, which in my case is a bullet that ends at the cross member.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I run all my wires under the header. Works out real nice and keeps everything from melting. I've never run wrap or sleeves on anything, ive seen a couple of sets of headers collapse because of the heat retained on the turbo side.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i have a b&g kit that i sent out to get ceramic coated(the whole hotside ,Dp and crossover) in NJ. i also wrapped the down pipe and crossover pipe but left the headers alone since the whole kit is ceramic coated. and i have the race part solutions shown above for my wires and it works great no problems

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
summit sells a set of 8 for 48 bucks or so so im gona try them, what do you mean run your wires under the headers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts