Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have your typical foxbody,306 fcam 1.7s,perf.rpm heads,cobra int.42lb inj. on3 70mm turbo kit.there y pipe to a mac cat back system with tail pipes.I had a lot of leak issues at the downpipe to turbo connection and all the vbands.Took it apart put copper hi temp rtv on all flanges,reclamped everything.let it sit overnight.It is 3 times better now but still stinks in the car enough that after driving with the windows half way down you still need to change clothes and shower...I don't see any cracks in the headers or any leaks at header to head.Iam also using copper rtv instead of header gaskets.Anybody else have these issues?how did you cure them?I built this set up for my wife and she loves the car but not the smell...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Based on my dyno tuners recommendations I took every v-band connection to the belt sander to ensure that each piece had a perfectly flat face/surface. This included the header flanges. I have had zero sealing issues, so I would recommend this to anyone out there having sealing issues at the v-band connections. i am running stock On3 vband clamps and no rtv. I have one season = over 4K miles so far on mine.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
For my v-band rings I offset the rings 3/16" to one side so one pipe would slide into the opposite ring, ie a male and female side. This helps locate the rings perfectly and hopefully seals it up good. Are yours done this way?

ks

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You can use a shop vac to blow air in the tail pipe and track down the leaks. A quality v band clamp will help a lot.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yes a heavy zip lock bag with tape works well. Also tape around the hose to get a good seal.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how many of you guys have sealed up the shifter hole and what did you use besides the factory boot and bracket?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did the shop vacc test last night used soapy water...only place not leaking was were I used rtv....everything else bubbled up worst was turbo to manifold and ball and socket at flex.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the turbo mounting gasket yes or no or just rtv no gasket.mine with gasket no rtv leaking like a mofo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts