1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old timer
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've heard that "sealed" engines are anything but. There are supposedly builders that can work around that. It wouldn't surprise me at all, the more rules a class has, the more people find a way to get around them. Just look at NHRA's Stock Eliminator.
Anyone care to expound?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Evan Smith is a former NHRA Stock Eliminator Champion who happened to drive a Mustang with a stick. To sum that up, he won the Stock Eliminator final round at Pomona. I forget what year. He also is the current Tech Editor for the NHRA National Dragster. I figure he probably appreciates what the Coyote Stock class is doing for the sport having done it himself in a different venue.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Evan Smith is a former NHRA Stock Eliminator Champion who happened to drive a Mustang with a stick. To sum that up, he won the Stock Eliminator final round at Pomona. I forget what year. He also is the current Tech Editor for the NHRA National Dragster. I figure he probably appreciates what the Coyote Stock class is doing for the sport having done it himself in a different venue.
Oh, I get you. I'm familiar with Evan's racing. I remember seeing him at Maple Grove in the 90's when he wasn't under the index yet. He knows exactly what I mean when I say, "Just look at NHRA's Stock Eliminator". I'm not knocking whatever is going on, if anything, to the sealed motors, it's just that NHRA Stockers are anything but stock (and some of the stuff they do is legal by the book, some is just accepted, and some is undetected), and I've read several times on the web (yeah, I know), that sealed motors are anything but, and I would expect that, being that racers aren't going to leave anything alone.
I don't really expect anyone to get on here and say what's going on, but ya never know.
The lack of responses speaks for itself.

·
Old timer
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard that "sealed" engines are anything but. There are supposedly builders that can work around that. It wouldn't surprise me at all, the more rules a class has, the more people find a way to get around them. Just look at NHRA's Stock Eliminator.
Anyone care to expound?
You need to read the rules for this class...

http://www.nmradigital.com/dl/rules/cs.pdf

A lot of people sitting on the sidelines think it's easy to do by just having a fat wallet, until they actually try it.

Then reality hits them squarely in the face. ;)

·
Registered
655 Posts
You need to read the rules for this class...

http://www.nmradigital.com/dl/rules/cs.pdf

A lot of people sitting on the sidelines think it's easy to do by just having a fat wallet, until they actually try it.

Then reality hits them squarely in the face. ;)
Thank you for the link, Ed. It seems the NMRA has the sealed motor thing under control, for sure. I hope my misconception about their rule enforcement isn't common amongst others.

And also, I by no means think it's easy. Fast cars and hard work go hand in hand, for sure.

I ran Stock Eliminator for a few years, and by our own admission, my partner and I built a car for a class that wasn't full of "heavy hitters" at the time. We were better beer drinkers than thrashers. lol The NHRA hasn't done a very good job of ruling the class (a whole 'nother subject), and it's one reason I don't run it anymore. That, and I'd rather have money in my IRA than a race car!

·
Old timer
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Marc - not sure WTF happened.

I sent a note to Evan about it.

Maybe Hot Rod just hates the little guys. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts