Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounting a pair on some spare pony wheels.

I know the rule of thumb with M/Ts is that if they are not screwed, run them tubeless. I'm assuming the same goes for a QTP? I mean, Its still going to turn on the rim and ruin the tube...

I dropped them off at the tire shop yesterday, thinking nothing of it... the shop just called questioning it and now I just need some reaffirmation.

While I'm here, any other rules of thumb, do's, don'ts, etc? (E.g. Don't go below a certain PSI)

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
QTP's do not require tubes. Screws are not needed for street use.
I don't know anything about your car. If your track is sticky and your car
hits hard,rim screws are a good idea. Run as much pressure as possible.
Start at 16.5-17 and drop a half a LB. at a time

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I appreciate the reply.

I didn't think they did, but I guess it must say on the sidewall somewhere. (I did not bother looking.) They came off the UPS truck and went straight into my pickup and down to the shop. Lol

The car they are going on is approx 325hp and 3,100lbs. 5spd with 3.73s and strange 10 ways all around. (2 clicks from soft in front, 5 in back) Its currently got some BFG drag radials on it and they dont bite any better than a standard street tire. The plan is to add these, lose the front swaybar, and see what happens.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've had good luck using Permatex High Tack to glue the bead on my QTP's (no tubes). I am also running a 5 speed and hit the tires fairly hard when I launch. After a boat load of passes the tire has not moved in the slightest running pressures from 16-12 PSI.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What size tires did you get for your Pony rims? Any pictures on how it sits and looks? I would like to do the same thing. Strip duty would be a good use for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts