Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I introduced myself the other day in the new members thread as the design engineer responsible for the development of Hooker Blackheart engine swap systems at Holley.

As I mentioned in my introduction, I am building this thread to provide technical support for the Hooker Blackheart Mustang Coyote swap systems,that are beginning to get released, to all members of this forum. I am taking it upon myself to do this due to the positive experience I've had giving similar support for our LS swap systems on other enthusiast forums over the last 7-8 years.

These forum tech threads I build and maintain serve to function as a single-point source of reference information that can easily be searched and accessed by the reader. Please keep in mind that that I do not have any involvement with the sale of products sold by Holley, so I cannot offer any information related to those activities.

However, if you want to know what you can, or cannot do with the Hooker Blackheart Coyote swap system, or how the components differ from other Coyote swap products, that I can do for you more effectively than anyone else employed by Holley. Also, some information I give here will be preliminary to the actual release of these parts, so please ask/post any relative questions you have here in this thread.

I welcome inquiries about these swap systems directly within this thread, so other readers can benefit from the information, or through my message box.
I have spent the better part of a year developing all the parts that will eventually be released and discussed in this thread, so please bear with me while I endeavor to cover all the information...there is at lot to cover.

With the introduction and intention of this thread out of the way, let me conclude this first post by giving a general describing what the Hooker Blackheart Coyote swap systems are designed to do.

The Hooker Blackheart 1979-93 and 1996-2004 Mustang Coyote swap systems are designed to provide a comprehensive solution for the engine/transmission mounting, and header and exhaust system requirements associated with performing a Coyote engine swap in these vehicles.

These systems consist of a multitude of engine mounting brackets and transmission crossmember options that permit a user to install a Coyote engine into a 1979-93 or 1996-2004 Mustang (using a stock, Maximum Motorsports, AJE or Team Z K-member) in conjunction with a T45, TKO, TR3650, T56, Powerglide, 4R70W, 6R80 or MT82 transmission.

In addition to these mounting components, these systems also include headers and exhaust systems co-developed with the mounting components to be fully compatible with all the listed transmissions. The headers were carefully designed to address some of the issues that were noticed to be still causing users issues, such having to notch oil pan sumps to clear the headers, non-compatibility with automatic transmissions and poor serviceability of starters and transmissions/clutches after completion of the swap.

There is a shared design characteristic of the Hooker Coyote swap systems that makes the interchangeability of all the involved components possible, and that is the engine and transmission mounting location remaining in the same position regardless of the engine K-member being used.

This reference position is represented as the crankshaft height and passenger side offset and the engine/transmission bellhousing mating plane remaining in the stock Ford location. With that positioning being set, using an aftermarket engine K-member is merely an option and no longer a requirement to perform a Coyote swap into these cars, for those using the Hooker Blackheart 1-3/4" headers for these applications. The 1-7/8" and 2" Hooker Blackheart headers require the greater fitment envelope provided by the AJE and Team Z K-member for installation.

As I stated, there is a lot of information that will be shared here over the coming weeks and months, that I hope many of you will find helpful and valuable. This will include technical data sheets, parts selection guides and many, many photographs. I look forward to becoming part of the community here and helping out with your Coyote swap project needs as best I can. Feel free to ask away with any questions you may have.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since there will be a staggered release of all the components, I will be posting images of them all as they become available. The first one to be released is the stainless steel 1-3/4" headers for the Fox Body Coyote swap application. They are bolt on compatible with the Maximum Motorsports MMKM-2.1 K-member now using Prothane brand mod motor mounts and will also be compatible for use with the AJE MU40-UM and Team Z TZM-KM-SWAP K-members once specific engine mounting brackets that have been developed for each of them get released a few weeks from now.

As previously mentioned, these headers are compatible for use with T45, T56 Magnum, TKO, TR3650, 4R70W, 6R80, MT82 and Powerglide transmissions. These headers are one of six different sets of headers that will be released for 1979-93 and 1996-2004 Mustang Coyote swaps. The part number of these particular headers is 70103317-RHKR.

I expect the next sets of headers to be released within two weeks from now and they will be for the 1996-2004 applications.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
So from what I can tell, there will eventually be a kit that provides the end user every bracket/adapter needed to bolt a coyote engine and whatever transmission in to their fox mustang? That would be good, considering fabrication/welding is what seems to be holding most people back from these swaps (as well as engine cost that you can't control).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So from what I can tell, there will eventually be a kit that provides the end user every bracket/adapter needed to bolt a coyote engine and whatever transmission in to their fox mustang? That would be good, considering fabrication/welding is what seems to be holding most people back from these swaps (as well as engine cost that you can't control).
Yes, that is correct. There will be five specific transmission crossmembers (two that fit the Fox Body cars, two that fit the 1994-2004 cars and a one that fits 1999-2004 cars only) and a few adapter brackets that provide for bolt-in installation of all the transmissions listed across the full year range of cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some final images for the day that depict the headers I already mentioned mocked-up with a Coyote/6R80 combo on a Maximum Motorsports K-member (with both a stock Coyote oil pan and the Moroso Coyote swap pan depicted), a Coyote/4R70W combo on an AJE K-member and the same Coyote/4R70W combo on a Team Z K-member.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Sorry, replied in the wrong thread.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just completed an evaluation of the UPR Products mod motor K-members (for both the Fox Body and SN95/New Edge applications) to check their compatibility with the components in the Hooker Blackheart Coyote swap systems and can report the following results:

Both the Hooker Blackheart Fox Body and SN95/New Edge application 1-3/4" headers fit with the UPR mod motor configured K-member when using Prothane mod motor engine mounts. The user must be aware that the engine sits 5/16" higher than it does on the other K-members supported by the Hooker Blackheart Coyote swap systems, so use your own judgement as to how that will affect your swap.

I will post some relative images later.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just for clarity. Are you skipping support for the 94-95 model year cars or will that kit be a combination of parts from the foxes and 96 and up models?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for asking that question. The 94-95 application will eventually get evaluated as to what combination of parts it will take to execute the swap on them successfully. I am assuming it's going to go the same way that it did with the LS swap application and take a combination of Fox Body engine mounting brackets (for the stock K-member guys) and SN95/New Edge parts for the headers, transmission crossmembers and exhaust systems. I can't say for sure as the bend geometry of the Coyote swap headers is obviously different than the LS swap headers, so that may cause things to not go as I assume they will. Using one of the aftermarket K-members will probably render that moot and allow the use of all the 96-up parts on those cars. When that does happen, I will update this thread with the information.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some images to post of the next parts in the Hooker Blackheart Mustang Coyote swap systems that will be getting released in the next couple of days. These are the large diameter Fox Body and SN95/New Edge headers that were designed for use with AJE and Team Z K-members. They will be available with 1-7/8" and 2" primary tubes for both vehicle platforms. Once the product release goes out, I will post more information, including the part numbers for each set of headers.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And some installed images of the headers...the first two are the Fox Body headers installed with the AJE and Team Z K-members respectively and the 3rd and 4th images show the SN95/New Edge headers installed with the AJE and Team Z K-members.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Andrew. I had fun working with the Coyote stuff and look forward to doing more in the future.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know me, I just do as I’m told. I’ll
put any engine into any vehicle as long as I keep receiving a direct deposit in my checking account twice a month.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Very cool! Great that Hooker has engaged with the enthusiasts they design the parts for.

If you designed the LS swap headers for A-bodies, you have my thanks. I was originally building a 69 Chevelle with an LS and T56. My father has a 70 that's similar. He had manifolds. I ended up selling my project, so he picked up the Hooker swap headers I had.

I have to say, fit great and sound great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for jumping in and giving feedback of your experience. Yes, I’m the same guy who developed the Hooker Blackheart A-body LS swap system, I’m glad your Dad got to make good use of those headers. I enjoy providing information that is useful to users of the engine swap components I design.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Todd, I have a question for you.
You stated the that the use of aftermarket K-member is merely an option but then mention on the new edge cars that the 1 7/8 headers are designed for the use of AJE and Team Z K-members. I have a 2001 GT and am trying to get a list going. I'm honestly contemplating LS swap or a Coyote swap but it doesn't help that already have a 5.3/4l60 and Mega Squirt.
My aim for the Coyote swap would be Stock K-member and using my current Tr-3650.
Thanks for the time you put in to these threads. I've read the thread on LS1tech a couple times and you do some great work!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Todd, I have a question for you.
You stated the that the use of aftermarket K-member is merely an option but then mention on the new edge cars that the 1 7/8 headers are designed for the use of AJE and Team Z K-members. I have a 2001 GT and am trying to get a list going. I'm honestly contemplating LS swap or a Coyote swap but it doesn't help that already have a 5.3/4l60 and Mega Squirt.
My aim for the Coyote swap would be Stock K-member and using my current Tr-3650.
Thanks for the time you put in to these threads. I've read the thread on LS1tech a couple times and you do some great work!
Thanks for catching that and pointing it out. The use of an aftermarket K-member is an optional only when speaking in regards to the Hooker Blackheart
1-3/4" headers. The bend geometry of the 1-7/8" and 2" headers is completely different than that of the 1-3/4" headers and requires the greater fitment envelope provided by the AJE and Team Z K-members to permit their installation. I've edited my original post to better clarify this information.

So, you can keep your stock K-member if you go with the 1-3/4" headers and using your TR-3650 transmission would be a piece of cake if you choose to go the Coyote swap route. Thanks for complementing my efforts, I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts