Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent haste to hook up a temporary battery on my 1987 LX, I accidentally hooked up the terminals backwards. I know....

Upon doing this, the starter solenoid immediately emitted a puff of smoke. I have since pulled the battery, verified that it works and charged it. I've also replaced the starter solenoid. After doing this latter step, I tried starting the car to no avail. All I get is a loud click (presumably the new starter solenoid engaging), the noise of the fuel pump starting, but no engine cranking. Inside the cabin, the interior light works, as do the dash indicators, but the aftermarket radio doesn't turn on.

This car has a few bolt-ons, but nothing radical. It's a stock block 302 with heads, cam, intake, etc (does have an MSD 6A box though, should that matter) and thus far, I cannot find any fuse links anywhere in the battery/starter wiring.

Can someone help direct me as to what to do next? I was hoping that the problem was contained to the starter solenoid, but that clearly doesn't appear to be the case. Thank you!!

·
Registered
23,262 Posts
replace all fuse links at the solenoid

·
Registered
23,262 Posts
the smoke was the links

1 - 3 of 3 Posts