Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 4" cowl hood for my 86 for a couple years, and I haven't tackled installing it yet cause I wasn't sure where/how to install the hood pins.

I have a hood pin kit from Ford Racing with the over-center type pins with attached cables. If anyone has any info or pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You should be able to mount the pins where the OE adjustable rubber stoppers are. Then, once they're mounted there, you can fashion up someway to transfer the drilling spot on the hood from the pin.

I dabbed some red paint on top of the pin, then slowly dropped the hood on it gently to transfer a paint mark where to drill.

I too have the FRPP pins. After rusting out 2 sets of the MOROSO's or MR GASKET's, I "learned" and got ones that won't rust.

I did not use the vinyl covered lanyards, just didn't care for them. Kinda/sorta a lil' dress up tip. I bought some large gauge heat shrink tubing and put over the pin up to the hole. Looks cleaner, and I dressed up the jam bolts/area with a black paint marker(not magic marker)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything still sits ok without having the bumper pads in place? Did you put a nut above and below the sheetmetal then? I'll have to go out and look at mine to see if I can get at the bottom of it to put a nut on underneath.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Everything still sits ok without having the bumper pads in place? Did you put a nut above and below the sheetmetal then?
Yes. Use the OE rubber pads on the sides of the fenders.

I'll have to go out and look at mine to see if I can get at the bottom of it to put a nut on underneath.
You'll hafta drill it out. I used a Uni-bit I believe.

I am also STILL using the OE hood latch. I added the pins only for horror stories i've read of aftermarket hoods flying up while on-track. Multiply that with my luck and it was a no brainer to put the pins in.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was planning on using the latch as well, cause I don't want people to be able to get into my engine bay. I don't really trust that alone though which is why I got the pin kit.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Mine, I like it. It cost me $10 at Advance Auto Parts, and about 20 minutes of my time....

Only way you can see it, is from the front if you look for it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A shot of flat black on the hood pin and retainer clip would make it disappear altogether.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Mine, I like it. It cost me $10 at Advance Auto Parts, and about 20 minutes of my time....

If I got with a fiberglass hood, that is the route that I want to go. The hood pin look doesn't bother me, but people who don't understand or aren't into racing will give me crap.

Is that metal on the bottom? In the picture it looks like plastic.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
It is a very hard composite. (plastic)

I didnt want to have them shwoing on the top of the hood, so I thought of this in about, 2 minutes. lol

It is very easy.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Its a matter of preference. Some like it closer to the edge of the hood, some half-way between cowl and endge, some elsewhere...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like you didn't put them where the stock bumper pads are at? I might have to look around your site again to see if there are any shots with the hood up.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Hood up:

A wee bit'o surgery going on... (installing radiator to my liking) ;)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Interesting, Putting the hood pins upside down was very different. I have a set from upr and have been debating on installing them for sometime now I think I might. Later :)

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Do you have pics of your install?
I don't have them installed on anything as I'm not running an aftermarket hood yet. However, I've seen several guys at the AutoX with them and they like them a lot especially for the fact that you can lock the latches with a key if you like.

·
Registered
682 Posts

I need to know how you put it in the underside of the hood.. Do you have a write up? And You have 2 pins right?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have just 1 pin in. I figure if the hood pops, I will see it, and the 1 pin will be enough to hold it until I stop.

You drill a hole that the pin will fit in....and you make another hole to access the top of the stud to put a washer/nut/lock washer or whatever you use to secure it.....while being able to fit a wrench around it to tighten it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts