Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across 4 of the 35's and one of the 40's and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with them. I'v read alot on them and they are used alot on tuner cars but would they work on a 347?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a market for the ones I dont use? I seen where the prices vary on them. I took the 40 apart and went thru it and it was fine but the 35's may need to be rebuilt. I think I'm gone buy the parts to rebuild them all just to be sure though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Both those turbos are popular in the dodge cummins world. There's a ton of them out there so I'd say you won't get much for them. If it were me I'd go with the hx35w for a street car. It spools quicker than the hx40w. Rebuild kits are cheap for them too. What's your goals with the car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The hx35w i just bought about 6 months ago for my cummins was 4-500 brand new not rebuilt the rebuild kits are cheap and easy todo also.... In my truck im seeing 20psi!!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car probably has 360-400 rwhp now. I just really want a bad ass street car. Which Im not upset at how it is now. I would expect a mid twelve or so in the quarter now because of the weight of the car. I have a nitrous kit on the car now but have never sprayed it. I didnt figure I would get alot for the ones not used but I really dont have much in them anyway.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go with the hx30. My cummins has the he351 holeset on it. Basically a hx35 with a hx40 compressor wheel. And has an electronically controlled waste gate. She spools 42psi. And went 14.99 at the track. Not to shabby for a huuuuge 4x4 tank. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
The hx35 will limit you, for an engine built to what yours is you may max out your hot side depending on which one you have, they range from 12cm3 to like 21 or 23cm3. keep an eye on your egt and your exhaust pressure ratio cause it can cause some fairly serious issues. Also if you look at a compressor map the 35 is really small for these engines especially hopped up where the intake demand is already higher. They are really inefficient at low boost levels and if I remember correctly at a reasonable boost level like 8-10psi I think it maxes out at less than 45 lbs/min. It has been done before and will work but after a certain point you're just blowing hot air and over spinning the turbo. I think it's good for a fun street engine that's close to stock but not built like yours. You can get away with a little more if you make a 35/40 hybrid and throw the hx40 compressor housing on the 35, but if it were me I would run the hx40 if it has a t4 flange and that should do a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I have a crawler I'm putting an he341 on which is close to a 35 but has a higher flowing exhaust housing and more efficient compressor housing but I am also ok sacrificing top end to have a turbo that spools up at a really low rpm. My opinion is either use the hx40 or sell the lot and buy a better turbo. And you'll say they do fine on xxxhp diesels, but they run higher boost levels which put it further in its efficiency range and they only spin to about 3k rpm so they require less air. That is exactly why a lot of people run those turbos on small 4 cylinders because they can run high boost levels and the airflow demand is lower and even they outgrow them and commonly run hx 40s and larger

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good first post bro. Very informative. Thanks. So really basically for the money I would spend on installing it the power levels wouldnt be worth the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exactly. But if you have a t4 hx40 you can start with that and have some fun then upgrade to a larger turbo when you're ready and that will save you a few bucks more for the install and you can sell the 35s to get some cash to work with. Also upgrade to an external wastegate because that wastegate is very small and you can end up with boost creep. You can either leave the wastegate actuator on and it will never open or to make it more compact it can be welded shut. Good luck and should be a fun project

1 - 10 of 10 Posts