Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Holley Systemax II or Edelbrock Performer RPM II for my combo?

I heard that the Holley is a bad choice for my AFR 185's. Is this true? If so, what's the best intake for my combo?

Here's the list:
331" stroker, C&L 76mm mass air, 75mm Accufab TB, AFR 185's (61cc), Comp XE282HR cam, Bassanni 1 3/4" shorties, Mac 2 1/2" X-pipe, & Magnaflow CB. I'll be runnin the stock fuel system w/a 255 in-tank pump, Kirban FPR, & 30lb injectors. 10.1 compression. This is goin in my street/strip '92 notch w/a stock T5 & 4:10's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a system max 2 on my car and it works really well. But if you go with the rpm 2 from brock it is really good too

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some people are saying that the Holley doesn't match the AFR heads as good as the Edelbrock. If they come up w/some tests soon before I finish the car, I may reconsider.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had the System Max II and it didn't fit very well. The overall fit was poor and the ports did not match the head at all. There was some side to side offset in relation to the center of the AFR ports. The ports were huge compared to the AFR's.

I sold the System Max II and bought the RPM II. The RPM II was better but not perfect either. Here's some of the minor problems I encounter when installing.

1) 1/8" npt plugs would not screw into upper (hole was tapped correctly, npt plug supplied bad).
2) Fuel rail requires much shorter bolts since the holes aren't tapped as deep. This probably has to do with the larger runners.
3) The material above the injector bosses on a couple needs to be larger to allow the injectors to sit in the boss' correctly.
4) Don't remember if its 1/2" or 3/8" NPT fittings on the bottom side of the upper intake on either end hit the cover plate screws when install the fittings.
5) The "CNC" porting on the lower intake where the upper and lower meet leaves alot to be desired. My guess is it was done by hand based on the grinder cuts and not CNC'd as stated which leaves nice consistent tool marks.
6) On the inside of the upper, looking thru the throttle body area, there's a casting ridge that runs from front to back.
7) Otherwise my only real complaint is the runners are slightly taller than my AFR 185's. Due to time constraints, I had to forgo port matching my heads to the RPM II. I expected the RPM II port to match a 1250 gasket pretty close and it did side to side but not top to bottom. Ebock sells an epoxy that is used for recontouring and reshaping the port. I'll pull the intake next spring and fix the mismatch

I'd also recommend another good review of the instructions to ensure all the details are addressed. The overall fit was really nice. It looks good.

With that said...I'd buy the RPM II before the Holley. I'd have to say the Holley is more racier where some time needs to be spent like with any race part. But for the avg joe, the RPM II is more of a bolt on.l

1 - 5 of 5 Posts