Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been battling some IAT issues which is preventing me from turning the boost and timing up on my car. I had a smaller intercooler, so I swapped it out for a new 4" Mishimoto large core intercooler. Temps with previous intercooler were 160-170* right before the intake at the top of the 1/4 mile with only 16# boost and 12* timing. After swapping out the intercooler, the temps were down a little bit to 140*-150*, not as much as I was hoping. I had a buddy ride along with me to video the intercooler temps. I installed a gauge that reads pre and post intercooler temps. I was surprised to find that the pre intercooler temps were over 300*, so the intercooler is definitely working! Any idea why the charged air temps are getting so hot? Anyone else had this issue? This is a built 4.6 2V with FF CG fab headers, precision 76/75 CEA turbo. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Sounds comparable to the temps I see just before the TB. Turbos get very hot due to the exhaust housing and transfer that heat to the incoming air.

ks

Reactions: TomR

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of guys I've talked to said they usually see around 110, so I was hoping to hear what a few other people were seeing and if this was out of the ordinary. I have mine set to start pulling timing at 150* I do have a meth kit I can still install, I just wanted to use it as more of a safety net and not a solution. I'm pretty close to being in the 8's now, but don't want to turn it up until I can get this under control.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Really? 110* with an Air-to-Air IC?

I'm on street gas and my system doesn't pull timing since I run 100% meth inj. I do monitor the KR with a Safeguard system tho.

ks

Reactions: TomR

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I get right around 100* IAT at 20 psi at the big end, (twin screw not turbo) but then again I run an air/water set up that allows me to run ice water and that helps a lot. Over 300* before I/C is not uncommon at all.

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's good to know the mishimoto doesn't cut it at that level because I was considering one myself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you done any heat treatment under the hood (wrap, turbo blanket, etc)?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Your temperatures do not sound out of line for an air-to-air at fairly high power, assuming the ambient air is around 85F or so. I have an air-water-air system and I'm about 50 above ambient air at 22-25 psi boost at the end.

It will get tougher fast to get lower than 50F above ambient without ice water if you are making any power. I don't believe anyone could do 110 with an air-to-air in 85F ambient unless the power was low and the intercooler pretty large.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
why not add water injection...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get right around 100* IAT at 20 psi at the big end, (twin screw not turbo) but then again I run an air/water set up that allows me to run ice water and that helps a lot. Over 300* before I/C is not uncommon at all.
Next car will have air/water setup, I'm not going to change much more on this car as it has already gone way over the original plan. lol I thought 300 seemed high, but I'm glad to hear that this is not uncommon, thank you for the info!

Have you done any heat treatment under the hood (wrap, turbo blanket, etc)?
Headers and turbo are ceramic coated. I have a turbo blanket, but need to get a different one. The one I bought is too bulky and hits my water pump so I have not been running one.

Your temperatures do not sound out of line for an air-to-air at fairly high power, assuming the ambient air is around 85F or so. I have an air-water-air system and I'm about 50 above ambient air at 22-25 psi boost at the end. It will get tougher fast to get lower than 50F above ambient without ice water if you are making any power. I don't believe anyone could do 110 with an air-to-air in 85F ambient unless the power was low and the intercooler pretty large.
Ambient air was about 70-75 with temps reaching 140 on the new intercooler. Old intercooler temps were 160-170 with 50 degree ambient air temps, so the new intercooler is working better. The other person did have a good bit less horsepower, so that makes sense. Thank you for the help!

why not add water injection...
I am going to get my meth system hooked up now, just haven't had a chance with trying to chase all these other bugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts