Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming the stock shortblock is in decent shape and doesn't burn oil or anything... would it be relatively safe to put 6-8 lbs on a 150k mile stock 5.0 shortblock? Would turbo boost any more or less safe than the same amount of boost from a supercharger?

The heads are swapped so it's not the original head gaskets, but I'm not sure what kind they are. Probably basic Fel-Pro.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
With that many miles you may have more blow by than on a fresh engine and it will most likely shorten its life but I've put sc's and turbos on 3 of my 100k+ mile cars. In fact, I never had a problem until I spent a bunch of money on a fresh 331 and broke my first block. My old 137k mile shortblock has been through an HCI combo, then a KB and now turbo. I did replace the timing set the last time I had it apart as the chain had quite a bit of slack in it.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My chain was just replaced with a FMS a few hundred miles ago.

Do you think an oil catch running to both VCs would be mandatory because of the mileage, or not really at that low of a boost level?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
100kish is the sweet spot, they're loose enough to scream but not too loose to seal, it'll run fine with boost.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
My chain was just replaced with a FMS a few hundred miles ago.

Do you think an oil catch running to both VCs would be mandatory because of the mileage, or not really at that low of a boost level?
It would certainly help. You'll probably have a few oil leaks if you don't. You can always plug the vac line that goes from the tb to the oil fill tube, and replace the oil cap with a K&N screw in filter. Make sure to plug the pcv hole in your intake or put a small filter on it with hose clamp.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm familiar with proper pcv or breather setup. I'm currently na, running pcv and stockers with the baffle removed for clearance. I heard that will make a breather emit a messy oil mist.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I have 164k on my turbo'd 302. 12psi with iron heads, then 10lbs with h/c/i. I vent both VCs to catch can and it drains back to my oil pan. I'm gonna rock it til it blows.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Run it. If it does blow your not out much. I ran 9's on
My 150k 100% stock block.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had a 110,000 mile stock block that had a lot of boost and nitrois run through it. Seen many others do it to. If the motor is healthy, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Just run e85 or race gas...keep the redline below 6k...keep the timing around 20 and if it does blow, #### it its only a 302 aka dime a dozen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I say run it. But be prepared with the means to fix it or something else to drive. I'd rather blow that high mileage motor than the 15,000 mile motor in my 08 that just lost a (short) battle with a turbocharger. You never know whats going to happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts