Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had a set of U/D pulleys on the car. Been there 20 years and i never had issues with cooling or charging. Car ran 188* on a mechanical gauge no matter what conditions. Very reliable.

However, with new combo, i figured i wanted to go with reliability over every single HP. I'm also reinstalling A/C, so that was a driving force for putting the stock pullies back on as well.

However, i wonder if the additional flow from the Edelbrock pump would allow me to run the U/D's with the new combo and still stay where i want to with cooling. Of course, unsure how this will affect my A/C output.
For what it is worth, when I put underdrives on my Mark VII a long time ago, one of the unacceptable side effects was that the A/C struggled to keep up in traffic (Fort Worth, TX, black car). This was because both the compressor AND the mechanical fan were slowed down. Off came the underdrives!
A decent electric fan setup, pulling more air through the condenser may balance it out a bit more.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This is a bit of a mistaken concept.
As long as there is direct contact between the water and the walls of the tubes, the heat will be conducted to the fins and removed to the air....as long as there is proper airflow through the fins. Even if the water is moving quickly through the radiator, that means more water is in contact with the tubes and releasing heat.
Gotcha. Thanks Funky Town. ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I’m going to call flow kooler tomorrow and ask them what’s up and tell them many have been having quality issues with their units.

In the event I do not get a satisfactory answer besides “our pumps are good; buy it” I’m going Edelbrock.

On a side note- has anyone ever used Redline Water Wetter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I’m going to call flow kooler tomorrow and ask them what’s up and tell them many have been having quality issues with their units.

In the event I do not get a satisfactory answer besides “our pumps are good; buy it” I’m going Edelbrock.

On a side note- has anyone ever used Redline Water Wetter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used something similar. However, I used it with water only. It ran a little cooler than it did with 50/50 mix, but I think it was the water that made the temp drop vs the additive. I think that’s the deal with the additives. They have anti corrosion “stuff” in it so running straight water won’t hurt as far as that goes, and the straight water is where the “extra cooling” is coming from. I don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference if you add it to 50/50 mix. But maybe I guess.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I used something similar. However, I used it with water only. It ran a little cooler than it did with 50/50 mix, but I think it was the water that made the temp drop vs the additive. I think that’s the deal with the additives. They have anti corrosion “stuff” in it so running straight water won’t hurt as far as that goes, and the straight water is where the “extra cooling” is coming from. I don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference if you add it to 50/50 mix. But maybe I guess.
I used the blue one.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
For what it is worth, when I put underdrives on my Mark VII a long time ago, one of the unacceptable side effects was that the A/C struggled to keep up in traffic (Fort Worth, TX, black car). This was because both the compressor AND the mechanical fan were slowed down. Off came the underdrives!
A decent electric fan setup, pulling more air through the condenser may balance it out a bit more.
Guess i'll leave them off. After going through the expense of putting A/C back on, last thing i want to do is restrict how effective it can be

41 - 46 of 46 Posts