Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Dean Scheidt
3,430 Posts
Where's indy2020? We need some up-to-date tech in here.

Just kidding around indy….keep up the good work. I have nothing else to add here.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
Because it might actually help the OP? Why else do you post in a technical forum?

Instead of going through the long list of maybes

just stick a meter on the signals and measure, its just that easy

its a diagnostic process, fuel, air, compression, spark..........

going after fueling using the 02s is simple fast and easy.

gives direction right away........fuel or not

·
Registered
331 Posts
Instead of going through the long list of maybes

just stick a meter on the signals and measure, its just that easy

its a diagnostic process, fuel, air, compression, spark..........

going after fueling using the 02s is simple fast and easy.

gives direction right away........fuel or not
So you check a fuel system issue that presents only under high engine load by measuring an electrical sensor attached to the exhaust while the car is idling?

You never told the OP to check the voltage with any specific conditions like do it while the car is hot, what if he checked it right after a cold start?

How long does an average diagnosis session last in your garage?

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
when the poster decides to do this test, i will walk them through

i will be asking questions on what they should expect versus what they read on their meter

they will learn, and so will others as the diagnosis moves along, there is no spoon feeding

most diagnosis take less then an hour, and I charge nothing as they are usually friends and family, this is a hobby for me, i dont do it as income......

i do something else, that makes me adequate money

·
Registered
331 Posts
As someone who has worked on literally thousands of cars for a living I would take the bet and be right 9 out of 10 times that the OP's symptoms are a coil going bad.

That 1 time out of 10 would not be an oxygen sensor issue, so there is no point going there. I've explained why the coil explains the issue, but you haven't explained why an O2 sensor would. A bad O2 sensor can only skew the fueling tables so much and it would be the case regardless of engine load.

When you claim to know more than an entire industry in which you don't even work, maybe you should reconsider your self importance. A narrowband oxygen sensor works on a scale of 0.1-0.9V. a change from 11:1 to 14:1 AFR is about 0.2V. Then around 14.7:1 the narrowband voltage swings rapidly down to lean voltages in a non linear manner. If narrowband was all that was needed why do new cars come with widebands from the factory? Are you smarter than the people literally designing ECUs?

A wideband works from 0-5V, so you have over 5 times the resolution to begin with, also the output is linear so a voltage change from 12:1-13:1 is the same voltage change as 14:1-15:1.

I've provided theory and experience backing up my claims, while all you have done is claim to be smarter than an entire industry and insult me without addressing any of the data I posted.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
thanx TIPS

I am pretty sure I fully understand the theory and circuit design of various WB/air fuel sensors

when the OP starts the diagnosis we can address, fuel or spark, nothing has been tested, yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
code reader wont help, still good to have

since you dont want to research the stupidity in removing the emission stuff properly, you have no foot to stand and stick a quarter in anything, so move on and stop whining

if you measure 02 voltage at the ecm, you will begin the diagnosis, what should the voltage be?

Voltage should be deez.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
way to go part swapper!!

enjoy!!

now go buy that holley, just for swapping sake!!

as you know that your setup, will have crappy drivability, it probably already does.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you can get past the stupidity you'll actually start enjoying his replies, pure entertainment. Sit back and learn....still my favorite;-)

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you look at some users post history you'll see that's how they spend the majority of their time on this forum. Being critical of people that do not diagnose / throw parts & mock people for how they go about their cars.

I am here to try and help you/others out since I have owned a lot of these cars & have spent a lot of time working on/diagnosing problems with them.

You didn't have to spend money on a code reader, I bet you already had one in the tool box or in your desk drawer. All you need is a paper clip, piece of small gauge wire or even a test light to jumper two points at the self test connector near the brake booster. A code list can be found on this forum, LMR or anywhere using a Google search:

OBD 1 Code List / Retrieval Procedure

Apparently peoples lifes are so pathetic all they want to do is jump behind a keyboard and become a warrior. I have a OBD scanner coming in to pull codes. Its been a while since I've diagnosed the foxbody platforms , I know they can be a pain at times.
Will keep you updated here in the next day or so.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sheesh, that was painful to read through.

Glad you figured out the problem!

I am curious as to how indy would have ended up at the coil after starting at................ just kidding :LOL:

Quick, get a mod to close this thread before it fills up with more :poop:!

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
Its a statistical certainty that the problem will be fixed given enough parts being changed.

that is not to be confused with "figuring" out a problem

but i am sure that is your diagnostic motto

·
Registered
461 Posts
Its a statistical certainty that the problem will be fixed given enough parts being changed.

that is not to be confused with "figuring" out a problem

but i am sure that is your diagnostic motto
Goto bed, you've reached your post limit for the day :)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts