Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
Apparently peoples lifes are so pathetic all they want to do is jump behind a keyboard and become a warrior. I have a OBD scanner coming in to pull codes. Its been a while since I've diagnosed the foxbody platforms , I know they can be a pain at times.
Will keep you updated here in the next day or so.

code reader wont help, still good to have

since you dont want to research the stupidity in removing the emission stuff properly, you have no foot to stand and stick a quarter in anything, so move on and stop whining

if you measure 02 voltage at the ecm, you will begin the diagnosis, what should the voltage be?

·
Registered
331 Posts

since you dont want to research the stupidity in removing the emission stuff properly, you have no foot to stand and stick a quarter in anything, so move on and stop whining

if you measure 02 voltage at the ecm, you will begin the diagnosis, what should the voltage be?
Indy, no need to send him on a wild goose chase. I have never once seen an O2 sensor make a car run poorly. If the sensor fails then the computer just defaults to open loop, which is usually 85-90% of the correct value. Factory narrowband sensors aren't good for much in the way of tuning for anything other than cruise. Hence why every tuner uses a wideband for WOT.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
Oh my!

Just sit and read along for awhile, please.

We are not tuning, we are diagnosing

BTW, using NB 02 sensors are excellent for tuning, use of a WB is only for verification.....just a little hint for ya

·
Registered
127 Posts
Money says it's the coil then
I agree that sometimes just bc a part is new doesn't mean it is good. A while back I bought a brand new MSD for my 87. Car ran fine before the install. With the new MSD it had a miss at a higher RPM and then once I took it off it was fine. I just returned it, didn't feel like swapping it out. I will be putting a blower kit on soon, came with an MSD BTM setup, I have higher hopes this time.

As far as coil goes, I decided to go with this one if you are in the market...so far so good....

·
Registered
127 Posts

I have always enjoyed sitting back and watching you make an ass of yourself....

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
i have always enjoyed sitting back and watching you look at your non running car with that look on your face.....

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
If when it is cold (open loop) and then warm (closed loop) then sounds like some sensor starts reporting bad numbers and the ECU doesn't like it. I am no pro but I would research that a little.

super tech

“starts reporting numbers it dont like”,,,,,nothin like those bad numbers to ruin a day........

that is F#$Kin MINT!!!

no pro, ???? you said it, lets just say you have NO CLUE!, and call it quits??

·
Registered
127 Posts
super tech

“starts reporting numbers it dont like”,,,,,nothin like those bad numbers to ruin a day........

that is F#$Kin MINT!!!

I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and computer science. I used to work for two OEMs doing engine tuning. I offer general advice with general terms, if you want me to bust out theory and math I would be more than happy to do that but I am pretty sure you graduated from the school of youtube so I won't bother. Not sure if you even know what a degree looks like but here you go.

Like I said I will just sit back and let you make a fool of yourself because it keeps me and I am sure many others entertained. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
118 Posts
super tech

that is F#$Kin MINT!!!

Not for nothing but you sound really condescending. I wouldn’t take your advice for the simple fact it might inflate your ego. But I know you have to keep your comment numbers going up, so have at it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not for nothing but you sound really condescending. I wouldn’t take your advice for the simple fact it might inflate your ego. But I know you have to keep your comment numbers going up, so have at it.
The guy is a troll, total waste of space with no life, if you look at his posts, the majority are worthless. I am just going to ignore him, I think he does a good job of making himself look like a child.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
oh my!

Its worse than i first thought!

You tell the world 8787, what you are gonna do, everyone is so interested.....

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
do it, and stop typing it, poser!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh my!

Just sit and read along for awhile, please.

We are not tuning, we are diagnosing

BTW, using NB 02 sensors are excellent for tuning, use of a WB is only for verification.....just a little hint for ya
You know why it's called a narrowband? Because it's only accurate in a narrow band (around stoichiometric). Guess what, at high engine load the engine isn't running stoichiometric, it's running rich. EEC-IV computers only adjust a small amount for fuel during WOT, not enough to make a car stumble and stop climbing RPM. Also, if an O2 sensor was going bad, why would it be engine load dependent? Why would every decent tuner in the world use a wideband if a narrowband is excellent for tuning?

Classic coil going bad symptoms: works fine cold, acts up when hot and under a load, free revs fine when hot. OP has all of these. You want details? High temperatures increase resistance in the coil windings. At high engine load the pressure in the cylinder goes up which causes an increase in resistance across the spark plug electrode, which requires a higher voltage that the coil can't generate since it's failing due to high winding resistance. Low engine loads (free rev) can deal with lower voltages just fine because less dense air has lower resistance and needs lower voltage to jump the gap.

I have had very poor luck with several of the aftermarket "performance" coils and only use OEM replacements now. Motorcraft worked fine on my turbo car with an ignition box.

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
You know why it's called a narrowband? Because it's only accurate in a narrow band (around stoichiometric). Guess what, at high engine load the engine isn't running stoichiometric, it's running rich. EEC-IV computers only adjust a small amount for fuel during WOT, not enough to make a car stumble and stop climbing RPM. Also, if an O2 sensor was going bad, why would it be engine load dependent? Why would every decent tuner in the world use a wideband if a narrowband is excellent for tuning?
when fuel trims are at 0, ZERO

the commanded fuel is the actual fuel

gues how furl trims are calculated, you guessed it, NB 02 voltage......

little known fact you fail to realize, the 02s work at WOT, just they are not used by the ECM

as the LONG TERM FUEL TRIMS ARE APPLIED TO OPEN LOOP WOT

you have to ask the ‘decent tuner’. why they use a WB......probably has something to do with ....

VERIFYING.......LIKE I SAID.......go ask them, then thank me later.

like a broken F$%kin record....round and round

·
Registered
331 Posts

little known fact you fail to realize, the 02s work at WOT, just they are not used by the ECM

you have to ask the ‘decent tuner’. why they use a WB......probably has something to do with ....

I said in my post that eec-iv adjusts fuel trim at WOT. You just assumed I was dumb and didn't know that and skipped everything else I wrote.

·
Registered
331 Posts

You also haven't provided a single symptom that a bad O2 sensor would cause relevant to the OP and have instead focused on belittling others.

Reactions: 87GT87

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
THE EEC-IV adjusts fuel trim at WOT?

what the thunder does that mean?

were you trying to say

‘fuel trims are applied to open loop ie WOT’

if so, it might help for you to type what you are trying to say, rather sound like you have no clue what you talking about, and hope to fake it till you make it

·
Registered
23,538 Posts
You also haven't provided a single symptom that a bad O2 sensor would cause relevant to the OP and have instead focused on belittling others.

why should i provide the LONG LIST of symptoms that a lying 02 sensor might cause?

see, how I didn’t say ‘bad’ 02 sensor, cause what does that even mean without testing it

what if the signal is short to ground or short to power? sensor is fine, circuit is not

are you getting the picture?

·
Registered
331 Posts
why should i provide the LONG LIST of symptoms that a lying 02 sensor might cause?

see, how I didn’t say ‘bad’ 02 sensor, cause what does that even mean without testing it

what if the signal is short to ground or short to power? sensor is fine, circuit is not

are you getting the picture?
Because it might actually help the OP? Why else do you post in a technical forum?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts