1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The issue isn't so much the iron block but the blower. Blowers and road courses just don't mix well. Ask all those on this board who tried centrifugals, KB, Whipples or Eatons. I guess you will find out soon enough.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
But it's a factory GT500 engine, and the GT500(s) I see regularly on HPT's road course don't have heat-handling problems. Major front tire wreckage, sure...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Yeah, I've done some events with '03/04 Cobra guys and for HPDE use they seemed to do just fine.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Darius seems to be doing well on his stock shortblock/Vortech setup as well....and for some time now.

Congrats man, outta e a helluva ride!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The issue is cooling. I can't remember how many '03 Cobras I've seen on track days with boil-overs. Plus most of them have gone to huge intercoolers and replacement radiators. Darius has done extensive cooling mods to his car. I have been a passenger in his car and he is a very smooth driver and takes it easy on his car.

I ran a KB on my car for several years and I basically had to throw every cooling trick at it before solving the problem. The S197 cars benefit from much larger radiator openings.

I didn't say it wouldn't work but it will take some well thought out mods to avoid limp mode or heat soak and those mods will add more weight...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Blowers on Road courses

I have a 1967 Fastback with a 5.0L and a Kenne Bell on it.
I run 7 psi and make almost 400 to the rear wheels. In late August I was at Infineon and it was over 100 degrees and I had no problem. The oil temp hit 235 and the water temp never climbed over 200. I was still out on the track when a lot of other cars had called it a day. So all it takes is the right cooling and a blower on the track is worth the work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW I plan to drive the wheels off this thing - street - track - cross country...

it has the BIG radiator and a 2 pass intercooler right now and I am considering a rear mounted tank(balance) that would allow me to have a couple gallons of coolant in the IC system if it comes to that.

I dont plan to be the fastest on the track - im just out for a good time. (he he he)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts