Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy a turbo for my car befor it goes back together. Ive had a
70mm precision on it and wasnt very pleased with the durability but I did buy it used so Im not going to blame the turbo. I was looking at a BW S380 with a race cover. I see a bunch of people going with Borg warner turbo's and im here there pretty good as far as making power and being reliable. I also was thinking about maybe looking for something Ballbearing if that would be a better choice. New build is a boss block motor with a custom cam and vic jr's,TF boxed R intake with a glide.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
What went wrong with the 70mm that wasn't durable?
I have heard great things about the BW turbos and they are very price friendly! I am a journal bearing guy, the small gain in spool isn't worth the price hike for me and my setup/goals.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What went wrong with the 70mm that wasn't durable?
I have heard great things about the BW turbos and they are very price friendly! I am a journal bearing guy, the small gain in spool isn't worth the price hike for me and my setup/goals.

-Chris
I rebuilt it twice and within 50 miles it started smoking. I ran a -4 feed without a restrictor and It would smoke instantly. I only had a -8 return so I think that might of had something to do with it. I'm Going to try -10 return this time and try my luck.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm guessing Monday ill get a s380r ordered. Ill post pics when it comes in.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its already assembled. Its a 306 because I got a great deal on it. I do plan on moving on up when I come across a good rotating assembly. Yea he did and made over a 1000 to the wheels with that turbo on a 331.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Its already assembled. Its a 306 because I got a great deal on it. I do plan on moving on up when I come across a good rotating assembly. Yea he did and made over a 1000 to the wheels with that turbo on a 331.
i would try and get the 1.00 housing for it and give her hell.. it will make that 302 act like a BIG motor after it gets some BOOOSSSTTTT!!!! who are you going to buy the turbo from??

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excessive racing has the best price for the s380r with a polished race cover. I just think a 88mm is alittle big for my 306 and alittle out of my price range.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You didnt make a offer lol. This turbo is rated for like 1450hp. Good luck with what you choose.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Im on the same boat with my boss306. My buddy has a pt88 on his 363, i was thinking of trying it on my motor just to see how laggy it would be. Jims 88 is one bad ass piece tho.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Im on the same boat with my boss306. My buddy has a pt88 on his 363, i was thinking of trying it on my motor just to see how laggy it would be. Jims 88 is one bad ass piece tho.
Alot more go's into it than just throwing it on there from a different turbo. You need to tune for the new unit.That go's a long way with spool and so does the convertor.The 88-47 make alot more power than a standard pt88 also.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Alot more go's into it than just throwing it on there from a different turbo. You need to tune for the new unit.That go's a long way with spool and so does the convertor.The 88-47 make alot more power than a standard pt88 also.
my tuner was gonna be in the shop this week for his car so we had talked abt doing the swap on mine. My converter will prob be too tight for the 88 but I have another pg converter at the shop that has a higher stall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts