Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here I am trying to get rid of on3 turbo kit leaks of course.....

kit is leaking like crazy, was leaking from all 3 v band connections.

I took all 3 off, put a good bead of rtv on em, let em sit, cure, w/e, tightened down the clamps in stages, finally started it up and it was pretty solid, no leaks or very minimal leaking.

I took it out, car felt better than it had ever felt and by the time I got home it was leaking like crazy again.

My v band clamps are bottoming out before they seem to actually pull the things in tight.

So my question is when everyone says replace v bands, are they saying replace the whole v band assembly, as in weld new connections on or would I be ok with just buying better v band clamps?

·
Registered
873 Posts
ive always had to flatten them (ie run them on a belt sander before installing) and a light coat of ultra copper rtv, let it cure for a few minutes and then install every thing. so far i have not had a issue with them leaking

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just installed mine and a buddy suggested I use the universal 3-hole exhaust gaskets. Just trim off the tabs and slip the remaining circular gasket in between each pipe connection .... then clamp down the V-Bands. His doesn't leak at all ... I'll find out when I fire mine up tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, yea, that could work, I actually ordered some v band aluminum gaskets to see if they would work...probably will just blow out in 10 minutes lol.

Is it worth it to buy better V band clamps?

I think I have the newer style "better" v band clamps that on3 was providing, just they dont seem to work that well lol.

·
Registered
608 Posts
When you say they are bottoming out, I think you can pull the bolt and and buzz it down. That will help getting it tight. Them not being flat is another story

·
Registered
549 Posts
the three bolt gaskets work great and I also went with some different v-bands from race parts solutions just the v-band not the flanges, 76mm on a 4v forward facing kit from 0n3 making 600 rwhp, just used their piping all tial blow-off and 44mm wastegate and a custom turbo from reed at work turbochargers the thing is an animal on the street

·
Registered
91 Posts
By bottoming out I mean the actual clamp will not close any farther because those 2 points facing us meet.

Can you post a picture of your pipe with the clamp bottoming out? Not all v-band clamps are the same. There are a few different lengths to the bottom portion as well as angle of the sides. I am thinking that your 3" flanges are very thin and the clamp is basically maxing out and cannot properly mate the sealing surfaces.

If you have a napa industrial store near by, they carry v-band clamps. You can get one of their Donaldson catalogs and get a clamp with a narrower lower portion. That should do the trick. If you can post a picture of your clamp and also of the flange surface, I may be able to get you a part number for the correct v-band clamp.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you post a picture of your pipe with the clamp bottoming out? Not all v-band clamps are the same. There are a few different lengths to the bottom portion as well as angle of the sides. I am thinking that your 3" flanges are very thin and the clamp is basically maxing out and cannot properly mate the sealing surfaces.

If you have a napa industrial store near by, they carry v-band clamps. You can get one of their Donaldson catalogs and get a clamp with a narrower lower portion. That should do the trick. If you can post a picture of your clamp and also of the flange surface, I may be able to get you a part number for the correct v-band clamp.

Lawrence

That would most definitely help a lot, I actually cut up a normal exhaust down pipe gasket and wedged it in there and the clamps felt a lot better/ tighter with 1/8 gasket in there.

It appears that the v band clamps arent even getting tight so I can crank them down till they cant go anymore before there is even enough clamping force to seal the system.

Im pretty sure they are 2.5 inch flanges and clamps also.....I do not have an industrial napa close to me but I do have a shop that sells vibrant v band clamps....maybe those are worth a try?

A lot of people seem to have good luck when upgrading just the clamps to some better quality ones like the racepartsolutions ones.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the three bolt gaskets work great and I also went with some different v-bands from race parts solutions just the v-band not the flanges, 76mm on a 4v forward facing kit from 0n3 making 600 rwhp, just used their piping all tial blow-off and 44mm wastegate and a custom turbo from reed at work turbochargers the thing is an animal on the street
Which three bolt gaskets are you using?

I actually bought some mrseal 3 bolt gaskets and cut it up to make it work for the v band yesterday, they helped quite a bit im just worried about longevity. Its like a graphite material reinforced with steel.

I also ordered some aluminum v band gaskets online and saw someone recommend the SS ones on ebay.

The gaskets definitely seal but im worried that they will blow out ever week.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The aluminum gaskets on ebay are junk! I got all my leaks stopped using the v-band clamps from race part solutions and also used his flange gaskets (trimmed down). The flange gaskets are nice and thick and seal up really well. I also got a tub of turbo flange sealant from summit and coated the gaskets in it before I slid them in. Also another trick, tiighten a little then tap it with a hammer and tighten a little more and tap again. repeat till the clamp is tight. Here are the links to what I used
V-Band assemblies, V-Band Clamp, RPS-V-clamp | RacePartSolutions.com
Exhaust System Accessories, 2.50" Steel 3 Bolt Exhaust Flange & Gasket, RPS-2.5x3BOLT | RacePartSolutions.com
Design Engineering DEI 090400 - DEI SPA Turbo USA Gasket Eliminator and Flange Sealant - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Use code 0001 at checkout on race parts solutions for 10% off.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
thanks guys that's exactly what I needed...ruffled, were the v band clamps noticeably better?

The ones I got with the kit seem to work with a gasket in there

Mod speed, how thick were those gaskets you used?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I used one of the obx gaskets also. They are about half the thickness of the ones from rps. But they work also. There is a night and day difference in the quality of the clamps he sells vs the chinese clamps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
His are made by 5 star. I checked around and he has the best price and fastest shipping. The guys on yellow bullet and turbo forums swear by him when it comes to fabrication parts

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 37 Posts