Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So searching threads I read comments regarding intakes that read like "adding boost/blower changes things"
My concern is only keeping a mindful combo that will do what I expect...no regrets. I want a 6k rpm 331 that makes about 450 to the tires. Hoping to do it on 10lbs with an Strim. My combo is not set in stone when it comes to cam, exhaust, compression ratio, and obviously intake. Machine shop is soon to start on a stock block but still looking for a dart used. Here is the combo in mind so far: 331 9.5:1-10:1 TF TW 170 heads mild ported b31 cam, 60lb injectors, 80maf, 75mm tb, mac shorty 54134 1 3/4 to 2.5 exhaust, tremec 3.73 S-trim power pipe and bypass. If I end up with a dart block I would only go to 12lbs and a few hundred rpm. I was thinking TFS track heat. Does that intake make sense for the power potential, rpm range, and combo or should I go bigger? I do not have the fuel system planned out besides I have a t-rex laying around and will put in which ever intank needed with or without it. This for now is going in a 95GT but someday will transplant to my Fox. I am not worried about every last HP gained from brand X but maybe I need to worry some for between the target rpm, cam, and intake choice for said combo.

·
Registered
272 Posts
my stock block 331 supercharged on a very mild tune hit 450hp and 457tq at the tires on a mustang dyno using old afr 165 heads, track heat intake, tfs 75mm throttle body, custom cam with specs similar to a tfs stage 2 cam, 47lb injectors, walbro 255 in the tank pump, Bbk shorties, summit racing 2 1/2" exhaust setup, vortech v2 s trim with a upr powerpipe seeing 9lbs of boost, and a tremec tko tranny I did a more aggressive tune and the stock block split when I made somewhere in the upper 400's can't exactly remember.

The track heat, holley, or Eddy will work fine for what your wanting to accomplish. IMO opinion if I didn't already have the track heat I would of went with a holley systemax

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys sounds like I should expect what I was thinking. I was hoping to have this done by June but that doesn't seem possible now. On the plus side I may end up with a dart block before the shortblock gets started on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What dart block you going with? I went with the dart shp after my stock block split, it's a very nice block and more then strong enough to handle quite a bit of power. I put almost the same combo into the dart block as I mentioned in my previous post because all my internals were saved as it started coming apart luckily the car stalled but anyways only thing I changed was the cam and upgraded the springs on the heads, upgraded the fuel system and now run on e85 tune, put 1 3/4 longtube headers on, and swapped the pulleys to an 8" crank and 3.15 upper and I'm now seeing 13lbs. Thru the tko500 I hit low 600's at the tire on the same mustang dyno but I ended up scoring a deal on a badass built TH400 setup and with the swap I am now making around 570-580's at the rear tire due to the extra drivetrain loss but still extremely happy with the small mild combo making some decent power so you will definitely have room to grow with your combo you posted.

IMG95110511.jpg

20170429_093912.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you thought about the TFS Box or regular R?

I had the track heat on my 363 with the 274HR cam in it and changed to the box and a custom cam and picked up a considerable amount of power. Yes the cam played a huge part, but the track heat is small in my opinion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you thought about the TFS Box or regular R?

I had the track heat on my 363 with the 274HR cam in it and changed to the box and a custom cam and picked up a considerable amount of power. Yes the cam played a huge part, but the track heat is small in my opinion.
I have considered them however it is harder to find either of them for the $350-400 price range used. The regular R would be great if I could find one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What dart block you going with? I went with the dart shp after my stock block split, it's a very nice block and more then strong enough to handle quite a bit of power. I put almost the same combo into the dart block as I mentioned in my previous post because all my internals were saved as it started coming apart luckily the car stalled but anyways only thing I changed was the cam and upgraded the springs on the heads, upgraded the fuel system and now run on e85 tune, put 1 3/4 longtube headers on, and swapped the pulleys to an 8" crank and 3.15 upper and I'm now seeing 13lbs. Thru the tko500 I hit low 600's at the tire on the same mustang dyno but I ended up scoring a deal on a badass built TH400 setup and with the swap I am now making around 570-580's at the rear tire due to the extra drivetrain loss but still extremely happy with the small mild combo making some decent power so you will definitely have room to grow with your combo you posted.

[iurl="http://forums.corral.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=832417&d=1494933115"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://forums.corral.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=832425&d=1494933179"]
[/iurl]
Dart SHP and right now I could go ahead and buy one. I am only holding off (as I round up deals on parts) because I may put this project on hold and buy a finished car or a C5 since we are getting into season and it is far from done. If I end up with a Vette first I am going to ditch this 95GT and start putting my Fox back together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts