Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there still people around here that are skilled at shaking people out of the shadows? I would like to find a deadbeat, so he can pay what he owes/file bankruptcy.

I was hit by a taxi cab while waiting at a stop sign on my bike. It shattered my lower leg. I had 2 surgeries and was off my feet for 3 months. $100k+ in medical expenses (covered by my health insurance company, thankfully). The surgeon was top notch, but there is longterm damage to the joint that will never get better.

This happened in 2013. Over the course of 4 years, lawyer/legal channels have reached a dead end. Taxis in MN operate as independent contractors, so the dispatch company is denying all liability. The driver purchased private, not commercial insurance, so he was effectively uncovered by insurance. I filed a lawsuit against him anyways, but he hasn't responded to anything. The judge reached a default judgement against him, meaning he is liable for all damages. Unfortunately, the guy has completely ghosted. I have a photocopy of his DL and a police report, but not much else to work with.

Reading through the deposition of the taxi company, I gather that the guy's wife died and he left the company. My gut feeling is that he moved back to Somalia.

Is there anybody around that can help track this guy down with information on driver's license?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don’t have an answer but I wish you luck. I’ve been taken by scumbags in the past and I was always the financial victim as well. The stress takes a big toll also.

Gl man and please continue the search.

Revenge is like the sweetest joy next to gettin _____

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stress definitely takes its toll. I don't have any realistic expectations that I'll ever see a dime from this guy. However, I'd be happy to see the guy file bankruptcy.

Thanks for the support!

·
11,039 Posts
Are you willing to risk interviewing a lawyer about the possibility of going after the taxi company?

The oldest trick in the book is to duck responsibility. In this case the company (apparently) claims the drivers' insurance is responsible. Evidence to the contrary is that you haven't been covered, so perhaps the taxi company is not doing due diligence in not sufficiently vetting drivers' insurance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you willing to risk interviewing a lawyer about the possibility of going after the taxi company?

The oldest trick in the book is to duck responsibility. In this case the company (apparently) claims the drivers' insurance is responsible. Evidence to the contrary is that you haven't been covered, so perhaps the taxi company is not doing due diligence in not sufficiently vetting drivers' insurance.
I did exactly that. MN laws heavily favor taxi companies. In fact, the taxi company was so confident in the law that they didn't even carry insurance to protect themselves from a situation like this. This is not a small taxi company, either. Needless to say, the taxi company has been fighting us tooth and nail. The taxi company now advertises on its website that it insures all its drivers and how they run a safer, more ethical business Uber/Lyft. Sounds like Uber/Lyft is hurting their bottom line. There's comfort in that at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts