Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Corral and thanks in advance for your help. Currently I'm running a stick radiator (Griffin Aluminum sitting on the shelf) with a flexalite fan. Bought them both at the same time. Combo would in no way clear my Novi 1000 "old school", but love it, supercharger with 8" pulley (2belt setup). Want to install Griffin larger radiator. What electric fan can I use and make this work? Pictures of your own setups would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21,849 Posts
you have to do massaging of the rad and condenser supports, to move all that forward

Most good fans will not just bolt in when using a crank pulley that is extended out.

Its trial and error and fabbing.

I have a mark VIII fan, and it needed modification to the above supports as well as the fan shroud.

weekend deal

·
Formerly known as 89 steeda
734 Posts
On my Tbird I already had the thinnest Spal fan they made and it still wouldnt clear. I dont have a/c so I sent my fan back to Spal and they put a pusher blade on it so I could mount it on front side of radiator. I also have a huge Griffen rad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking pusher fan. Anyone have any insight on installing one on a foxbody? Thanks for the pics deathbypsi. Looks good. Nice job

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
contour dual fan clears my 8 rib setup with a 2 core radiator.A/C condensor, and trans cooler

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics. I was thinking of trying that fan. Great looking engine bay. Would you know the thickness of the contour fan and your radiator? I'm thinking I need to work the Griffin as far forward as possible with a bit of work on the support.

·
Registered
272 Posts
On my supercharged 331 I run a summit direct fit 2 core aluminum radiator and a maradyne slim dual fan setup (PN MM22KT). It clears my vortech 8" crank pulley just fine with no massaging or trimming.

20170303_114055.jpg

20160319_234828.jpg

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Ford contour dual fans is the way to go.
contour dual fan clears my 8 rib setup with a 2 core radiator.A/C condensor, and trans cooler
This ^^

I've been using the contour dual fan set up for 3 years trouble free, I've been stuck in stop and go traffic with the AC on full and the temp stays below 190 on 100*+ day, It's brilliant. No radiator moving at all and I'm pretty sure I did not have to trim the fan shroud at all. This is on an older Vortech kitted 93 Cobra, 520rwhp

You can order a new Contour fan from rock auto and then head down to your local pic n' pull and snip the fan leads (the plugs for the fan, I like OEM as possible) off of a Contour. You'll need some of the plastic rods to secure it like these https://www.amazon.com/Derale-13001-Plastic-Rod-Mounting/dp/B000CJ061C/ref=pd_sim_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000CJ061C&pd_rd_r=WZWXMSNA6YE7QFN683M5&pd_rd_w=gpJMf&pd_rd_wg=SHns5&psc=1&refRID=WZWXMSNA6YE7QFN683M5

And after that all you will need is a fan controller and for that I would look no further than these guys Constant Temperature Controllers and Accessories

It'll mount right up in the lower drivers side corner of the shroud unseen for a clean, almost OEM install. :salute:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a Speedway Motorsport thick radiator in my Fox. It's also an earlier Mustang radiator, so it's not quite as wide. Unrelated reason for that. I bought an eBay 16" fan and mounted it on the opposite side. Just about all of these fans are reversible.

I have tons of room now between radiator and motor. Cools my car just fine and I live in Florida.

I did this so I can install the same supercharger set up. Which I have not done yet. But there is plenty of room to do so.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
There really is not much better for the price than the Contour dual fan assembly. That sucker cools my Blowzilla fed 306 in southern Arizona heat with the A/C on - no problem. I've heard the Mark VIII fans are better because they pull more air, but they're impossible to find now.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
'99-01 will cover the range, but you can buy a brand new TYC assembly from RockAuto for less than $100... just sayin.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I need to try the Contour fan. I have a Continental/Taurus fan, and while it's never overheated, even stuck in traffic, there are times it'll hit 212 degrees in the summer during rush hour (think 90+ degree heat, traffic parked or going under 5 mph for an hour or more).

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
I need to try the Contour fan. I have a Continental/Taurus fan, and while it's never overheated, even stuck in traffic, there are times it'll hit 212 degrees in the summer during rush hour (think 90+ degree heat, traffic parked or going under 5 mph for an hour or more).
You know, I have found that the ignition timing table of an engine is one of the most important aspects of an engine's tune to ensure that it doesn't generate excessive heat at any point throughout the operating range. Once I dialed my timing (which is far different from stock with Edelbrock Victor Jr heads), my engine seems to no longer be affected by excessive idling in the heat, A/C running, etc.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
That's a good point. My idle timing isn't low, but I could probably up at a degree or two. I create a trough at my idle point as an IAC. Maybe a degree or two more might make a difference.

·
Registered
583 Posts
+1 on the contour fans. I bought mine used, then control them with a Ron Francis dual fan controller. Love the fit and function.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts