Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I tapped into the wrong wires and caused the car to smoke at startup from the dash area somewhere.. so..

Which wires does the neutral switch on a Hurst quarter stick need to be spliced into? I have two wires coming from the switch.. where do they need to be ran to?

I have the clutch pedal pushed to the floor still in the car..

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Find the pigtail from your T5. (it's located in the transmission tunnel) Cut the looped wire. (mine was red, may be different color across the years) Zip tie the pedal to the floor and tuck it under the carpet. Attatch one end of the loop to one of the terminals on the quarterstick neutral safety switch. Attatch the other wire from the loop to the second terminal on the quarterstick neutral safety switch. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal. Check for continuity on the neutral safety switch in PARK AND NEUTRAL ONLY. You may have to loosen the set screw and adjust.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, there is no looped wire on any of my connectors. Here is a picture of what I did per these instructions from this website:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/transmission-articles/483478-fox-mustang-t5-c4-swap.html

It didn't work.. car did not start and it started smoking near the ignition, so I'm guessing it is wired wrong.

Here is how I have it wired:
I cut the white/pink and red wire from the 4 prong connector and ran both to my neutral safety switch..

How do I fix this??

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did, I put those wire sback to how they were and used the 18ga ignition wire off the starter solenoid, ran that through the switch and worked like a charm!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
cool, I am gonna be installing my aode soon and trying to be prepared as possible

How do u like the care with the auto now?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it, haven't gotten to drive it hard yet though. We'll see how it is after it gets tuned, it sure as hell puts a good load on the turbo though as compared to the 5spd. Even when just driving around it is noticeably louder.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I like it, haven't gotten to drive it hard yet though. We'll see how it is after it gets tuned, it sure as hell puts a good load on the turbo though as compared to the 5spd. Even when just driving around it is noticeably louder.
;)

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Just wanted to say that I figured this out, its actually pretty easy and I made a little harness so the T-5 stuff will go right back in.

The Stick tranny harness consists of three sets of cables

1 is a 2 prong cable and it goes to the VSS

1 is a 2 prong round connector. I dont know what this does but its not hooked up on my car.

The other is a 4 pronged connector half round/half square.

This connector should have a 4 pronged connector connected to it, 2 of those 4 prongs make a loop. Those two wires are the nuetral saftey switch (hook those to your shifter)
The other 2 wires have a round flat plug, this plug plugs into the side of the t5 and gives u your reverse lights.
Wire those two to your reverse circuit.
Both of the circuits require continuity to work, when the looped wire is connected it allows the car to crank, when the other two are connected it turns on the reverse lights.

Hope this makes sense, if not I Will take some pics

·
Registered
498 Posts
I could really use some pics or a simple wiring diagram.
Here is what I have hanging down on my 86

From what I am gathering from my Haynes manual wiring diagram I should run the red/blue wire (on the side that isn't looped) to one prong on the NSS that is on my Hurst shifter, and the white/pink wire (again on the side that isn't looped) to the other prong on that NSS. Or just wire them together to bypass it altogether...however, that looks like what Chase did and it didn't work for him...

or, judging by the diagram i could just bypass the switches just using the red/blue wire, I'd just have to make sure I did it at the right spot so the eec still sees power and so does the TFI modual

·
Registered
206 Posts
What do you do with the switch under the dash and the clutch pedal? I don't want to leave the pedal in and i want it to pass tech at the track!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts