300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 88 Notch 5.0 with the following:
Stock bottom end/cam/heads
Full interior/spare tire etc.
Stock T-5
Edlebrock performer intake manifold
70mm TB
70mm MAF from a 95GT still has 19lbs inj.
Stock air box with silencer removed
14 degrees of timing
Shorty headers, H pipe with high flow cats, Magnaflow cat back
Stock 3.08 gears
Stock 10 holes with M/T drag radials 235/60/15 (26” tall) tire pressure at 16lbs
Fronts with 225/60/15 pressure at 40lbs
Upper and lower control arms
Stock springs
KYB shocks

Ran it yesterday. Pretty warm at 90+degrees.
I launched at 3k and no wheel spin. I crossed the line in 3rd gear right at redline.
I shifted at 5-5200 k and other times 6k. Still came out with 14.4 or 14.5.
It consistently ran:
60’ 2.034 2.054
330’ 5.923 5.973
1/8 9.208 9.263
Mph 74.0 73.81
1000 12.045 12.103
¼ mph [email protected] 94.86 14.474 @95.15

Can I get 13’s with this if cooler weather, take out seats and spare tire?
Should I launch 4k? Don’t’ really want to launch at 5k+ still have stock axles.

·
Registered
862 Posts
what kind of elevation were you running at? that can kill ET and mph. also, the 3.08s are killing it. if it were mine id probably run a 4.10 in back. id recommend putting at least a 3.73 in it. as far as the stock axles go and high launch, as long as you slide the clutch you should be fine.

hell, i had my otherwise stock 7.5" rear end (with 4.10s, a lot of people said those would break and it was never a problem) in my 6 speed lt1 camaro and slid the clutch at 5400 w/ et streets at a track with really good prep and never had a problem. it went [email protected] driving it like that with a completely untouched motor. so its all about how you drive it.

if you put some gear in it, and run at a track with a decent density altitude like we have here, and everything is up to par with the car; with the mods you have id expect it to run somewhere in the 8.70-8.90 1/8 mile range and 77-80 mph. and that should be a solid 13 second quarter mile.

try launching it higher and sliding the clutch and shifting it higher as well. just play with it and see where it gets you. gear and tire will help it a lot, like somewhere under 1.9 sec 60' times.

·
Registered
224 Posts
3.73s and then wider tires in the back. you will spin with the 3.73s if u keep those tires. i have some for sale. 315s :)
also disconnect the sway bar in the front. it will help with weight transfer and bring the front end up a lil more. dont forget to hook it back up before you leave the track though

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm with everyone on the 3.73s and if you don't need it pull it out , spare tire ect.The notch will do a 13, drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
you should be able to get those 60's at least in the mid 1.9's or better
launch higher,if it spins,drop a few lbs out of the tires,take everything you can off the car and you should get there..

as stated before,gears are hurting you
also elevation is a killer too

i've found that a higher rpm launch with a little wheel spin yields better 60ft times than a dead hook lower rpm launch,i have the same size MT's as you on mine
draglites/skinnies are good for 2-3mph and almost .2 on mine as well

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice!! I'm going back to Infineon Raceway this coming Wed. Weather should be cooler. I'll gut the interior, spare, etc this weekend and try launching at 4-5k instead of 3k.

I don't plan on changing my tire size. I am going to keep my 10 holes on and stick with the T-5 and eventually a G-Force. Should I go for the 3.73 or 4.10??? The only thing I may do later is a set of heads and cam. This is just a weekend driver so no commuting here.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
with stock heads/cam,4.10's and a 26" tire it'll run out of gear before the finish line
i had 4.10's in mine for a few weeks,awesome on the street,but i ended up losing .2 on the track cuz it was nosing over before the 1/4 stripe

went from 3.55 to 4.10 and lost .2,went down to 3.73 and picked up .3 so far(over my best time with 3.55's)

every car/combo is different
my shift light is set at 5400,but the stock cam is done making power around 5k so you'd probably run out of power even sooner than i did
my shift light comes on in 4th about 20ft after the 1/4 stripe,so they're perfect for my setup

i'd say 3.73 if you're going to stay with the 26" tire
if you get 4.10's you could go with a 28" tire,you'd be at ~3.77 anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts