Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, been fooling with this decision for a week or so. Have searched archives and looked at previous posts. Also listened to mustangsounds.com

I have dynomax super turbos with full tailpipe, custom 21/2 h-pipe and dynomax 3/4 length headers (hate them though). When I added GT40P heads, intake and e-cam the car is ridiculously loud and deep! Never thought I would say that, but car gives me a head-ache on my 50 mile one way trip to work.

I had settled on ultraflow welded after listening to all available sound clips and researching archives, but talked to dynomax and he said ultras would definitely be louder. D**N it!

Anyone have similar problem and found the ultra flows to be quiter?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Having recently put my car back together with a set of ported E7s and a 2031 cam additional, the volume on my car went up considerably. In fact, between 1700rpms and 2100 rpms, the car is obnoxious on the inside and outside. Everyone thinks the car sounds mean, but it's frustrating to drive daily. I doubt you can find a quiet muffler setup that flows good. The tradeoff for a free flowing exhaust usually results in a louder exhaust.

Tony

·
Registered
171 Posts
Super Turbos drone like mofos. Is the drone the sound that is bothering you? If that's it, then the Ultra Flows won't drone as bad but they are louder.
I know my Super Turbos get super loud drone from like 1800-2200 RPMs, but other than that they are barely louder than stock.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The ultra flos will be quieter when they're new. However, when the packing material starts to wear, they'll be every bit as loud as the Super turbos. If you want quiet, look into getting the edlbrock rpm mufflers. They are the quietest muffler on the market in my opinion. Of course none of this matters if you don't have catalytic converters.

BTW - my experience comes from having the following mufflers:

super turbos
3 chamber flows
2 chamber flows
edelbrock rpm
magnaflow (similar to ultra-flo)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe you should try a Magnaflow exhaust. I have heard they have very little drone or none at all. Same thing with Borla. With 3.73 gears you should be out of the drone zone, at least mine was.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey TM88GT, Do you like your magnaflows? Actually it seems to be louder at 1100 to 2000, then sort of mellows out and cruising at 70+ isnt bad, but is the lower rpms that are loud.

I think I will get ultra's and at least the sound should be different.

I am really upset about the whole exhaust starting with these darn Dynomax 3/4 length ceramic coated headers. Using them forced me to have a custom exhaust made at the muffler shop. Then I added the flowmaster H-pipe kit hoping to make it quieter, but no difference.

I wonder if there are any clips of edelbrock RPM's on the net?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have Ultra Louds on my car and HATE them. The SC doesn't help though. I have just posted the same question in reverse on the power adder board. I am really hoping to find a nice quiet free flowing mufflers.

TM88GT,

You said that "none of this matters if you don't have catalytic converters" Why is that??

Keith

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Keith Ashcraft said:
TM88GT,

You said that "none of this matters if you don't have catalytic converters" Why is that??

Keith
I think what he means is without cats, most any performance muffler is going to be "loud". Cats do tend to keep things much quieter......

Wade

·
Registered
275 Posts
hey TM88GT, Do you like your magnaflows? Actually it seems to be louder at 1100 to 2000, then sort of mellows out and cruising at 70+ isnt bad, but is the lower rpms that are loud.
I loved them at first. I wanted a mellow / agressive exhaust note, and the magnaflows provided just that.......that is until the packing material started to wear. Now they are loud. Not quite as loud as the 2 chamber flows, but loud none the less.

I think what he means is without cats, most any performance muffler is going to be "loud". Cats do tend to keep things much quieter.....

That's exactly what I meant :D

Go to this url to listen to some different mufflers:
http://www.geocities.com/tm88gt/sounds/

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, new question.

Since no cats seem to be the problem, that would mean having them severely chokes off the system and robs power.

Any cats that are proven to not rob horsepower

Anyone have any dyno test or mag articles I could try to find.

I need to get this sorted out by 15 may (end of dynomax rebate). Thanks for all the replies. I know this has been posted several times before, but I cant make up my mind. Lee

·
Registered
311 Posts
Have you ever thought of maybe welding in a pair of Dynomax bullets into your existing Hpipe? I've thought about it , and I have SuperTurbos. The Race Magnum bullets seem to calm the drone.

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you use a set of unequal mufflers, i.e. different chambers, there will be a lot less, if any, drone.

thats how they come from Ford to not have the drone.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The ultra flows/race magnums are louder than super turbos from what everyone has said to me. I am in the same boat, I have heads/cam but w/ 2ch flows and IMO the car is obnoxious and hard to have conversations inside when your on the hwy. I am planning on dynomax RM's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Been there done that. Same exhaust setup was too loud. This is what made my car quieter, deeper, and more torquey(is that a word?).

Swithed to BBK Jet Hot 1 5/8" Longtubes and their short Cat H-pipe and went from Super Turbo's to Ultraflows. Longtubes definitely reduce the drone at 1700-2100 rpm, and they added 1.5 mi/gal and 30 ft*lb at 2500 rpm. It is still loud, but I don't wear ear plugs anymore :) I kid you not!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks missile mustang. I think I am definitely going to switch to ultras, if nothing more for the different sound, then if it is still too loud, maybe add cats later when the money comes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
TM88GT is correct - the key is the cats.

I started with 2.5" dynomax super turbos on my stock Mustang with FMS 1 5/8 shorties, Bassani-X with cats and 2.5" pipes. It was barely louder than stock and sounded good.

I dropped in a 347 and the cats cracked instantly - don't know if there was a defect or I did something while swapping motors. I removed them and it was just slightly louder. Than the turbos quickly burned out and the thing got really loud. I replaced them with 3" Welded Race Magnums and everything was fine again - just a little louder than stock and no drone. It took very little time for the Magnums to burn out and the noise returned and so did a nasty drone at 2000-2200 rpm.

I just recently added cats back to the X pipe and everything is fine now - nice and quiet with no drone and a great sound at idle. The cats are the key to keeping things quiet and they are guaranteed not to burn out - this shop will stand behind them, the other shop disappeared and Bassani blew me off.

I have lost no noticable power at all. In fact, I'm not so sure I didn't pick up a pound or two of torque - the 347 has so much I really can't tell. Most cars will get more torque on the low end when the back pressure is increased. If you lose power, it will be a couple of horses at high rpms and unless you race full-time, you won't notice the difference.

I have also been told my gas mileage will go back up (it dropped a bunch when the cats burned out) and I think this may be true - I don't have enough miles to know for absolute sure yet. The O2 sensors need the extra heat to work properly.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am running ultraflows with cats on my setup. Overall the car is very quiet EXCEPT FOR THAT DREADED DRONE! I had Super Turbo's before and the Ultraflows seem to drone at a higher RPM then the super turbos - like 2100-2300 instead of 1800-2100.

I even tried the "unequal length muffler" trick. One of the ultraflows is ~ 20" long, while the other is ~12". Didn't help the drone one bit... I think it has been determined that the long tailpipes are the source of the resonance.

Another thing you can do although this is very impractical is to change your gearing so that on the highway you are not in the "drone zone". Coincidently in my car 4.30's are the optimal gear for performance and @ 70 MPH the car is VERY quiet (2600 RPM). 55 MPH is another story, you need ear plugs for that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts