Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some new upgraded valve speings and retainers from Total Engine Airflow and some of the cobra 1.7 RR's..

How do I change this out with the motor in the car and the heads on?
Also, the incon manifolds make it a ***** for access..

any ideas would be appreciated

thanks,
bret

·
Registered
58 Posts
make sure piston is at top of its stroke. then you need to fill the cylinder with some air. this will keep the valve from falling down in the cylinder. you will need to install the correct height for that spring. the rest should fall into place from there. Its not to hard just time consuming

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like you said, filling the cylinder with air was the only idea I could think of so far... but those cast iron manifolds are going to be a big pain in the rear on a couple of cylinders

thanks,
brett

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
You can use the "rope trick" but it's a PITA. What you do is get the piston up on the compression stroke, stuff some 1/4 or 3/8 cotton rope in the cylinder, bring the piston up to TDC and the rope holds the valves closed. In theory. I did this on my car and it took me longer to get the rope to work on any given cylinder than changing the valvesprings did. It turned a 1 or 1.5 hour job into a 4 hour job but whaddya gonna do without shop air? ANd if getting to the spark plug holes with air is a problem I imagine trying to do the rope thing will be even worse. Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts