Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend and I built an 89 GT with an explorer motor, B cam, on 3 70mm kit TKO 600 3.55 gears. It has a Spec clutch in it now, holds great but the pedal is way too stiff.

The guy who owns the car has blown his knee out in the past and it kills him to drive it, car is making about 11 psi at the moment, so it makes good power... What will hold up and not hurt his knee? I had a Centerforce clutch with a much lighter pedal but will it hold the power? The boost hits hard at 2800.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What about adding an inch or so to the stock clutch fork and using an adjustable pivot ball?

The Centerforce is a good clutch but with the power hitting so hard down low I thing you would overpower it before the counterweights had a chance to come into action.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Which Spec clutch do you have?

Their different models are very, very different.

I experimented with a couple of different ones in my 93 Cobra...the stage 2+ had a nice pedal and stopped breaking parts on me.

The stage 3 is way too much for a regular street driven car.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not really sure which one he has, I'd have to ask... I remember we'd talked about playing with a different clutch fork but he had a good reason as to why it wouldn't work, just forget what it was! I'm thinking it may be a stage 3... My knee has no real problems and it even bothers mine at times. I'm amazed the cable doesn't explode.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
does he have a stock or aftermarket quadrant?

how old is the cable?

specs are great, running the 3+ now, but they are either on or off

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Agree with pkstang, my issue with the spec stage 3 was the on/off nature of it, just not pleasant for a street car. I do not recall a notably heavy pedal (or lets say any heavier then the other clutches I have had).

If you have a banged up cable that could be it.

Take the cable off at the clutch fork and get a pry bar in there and get a feel for how difficult it is to disengage the clutch. I have had them snap on me a couple of times and it is the sort of thing that you don't realize how bad it was until you put the new, properly lubricated cable on.

Try moving the cable with someone keeping tension under the car to prevent it popping off of the quadrant.

If you feel a lot of friction in the cable that may be your culprit

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Same exact problem with my car, I have a 93 Notch, that has a Centerforce DF clutch, and it was killing my knee. I had similar problems your friend did, sploded knee. I tried and tried, and could not get that damn thing right.

Then I came here, asked some questions and gave my info. Consensus? Buy the Maximum Motorsports Clutch cable and quadrant kit. It comes with a Ford Clutch cable, modified already for MM's Firewal adjuster, which is in the kit and so is their quadrant. I have never ever, EVER been so happy and stunned by a modification. Easy to install, easy to adjust, and it fixed all my problems. I have no clutch slip, my pedal is awesome and my left knee has never felt happier. I was literally straining my knee so bad it was crunching just pushing the clutch, the first time I hit the clutch after the MM quadrant? I thought it wasn't hooked up right. Literally I almost shoved it through the floor. Now the car is a dream to drive again, and high RPM shifts are a breeze.

I know lots of companies sell kits, for less, but after dealing with a brand new cable being so hard I couldn't work the damn thing, I will never go anywhere else for any product that MM sells as well. Why? Simply their quality so far (Braided SS brake lines for a cobra brake conversion and the quadrant) have been so far beyond other kits that it is not worth the hassle. Do yourself a favor and spend the $50 more and go with MM. Your buddies knee will thank you.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts