Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car went in for the fan recall a couple of weeks ago and it immediately started to over heat if driven hard around town. I spoke to the dealer and they thought it was probably the thermostat. I already had a new thermostat and Stewart water pump on order so I just waited until I installed those.

Anyway I installed the new pump and thermostat a week ago and temperature was fine for a week but again tonight after only limited hard driving it started to get hot.

What I have found is that the fan is sometimes not coming on, when I got home the car was at 240F and no fan.

I have unscrewed the coolant temp sensor to release any trapped air that might be making a false reading but only water came out so I'm sure there are no air locks.

I've ran the car on the drive tonight and sometimes the fan will work sometimes it won't. I've removed the circuit breaker and will run tomorrow without it and see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Richard.

·
Registered
650 Posts
sounds like i'm not gonna take mine to the dealer... mine runs just fine right now and i'd be mad as hell if it started overheating after i brought it in there for a recall.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same problems with my 95 gt. I took it in today and they told me that my fans work fine its just that i have pullies on it. Do you have pullies on your car?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just had the exact same problem. The dealer put on the wrong relay switch. They put on the one for a 3.8 liter. It only has a low fan switch. The 5.0 relay has a low/high. On top of that huge mistake from the dealer. I found out that my temp gauge is not working right. Not the 2 problems you want to have in the same day. Anyway I am filing a claim with ford to have my $190 reimbursed for fixing a stuck (melted) t-stat. (I had to have it towed to a dealer other than the one that did the recall work).

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would bet that the temp sensor is bad. Mine went out and same problem. Cheap fix.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After I had the recall done I went to get my car dynoed at JMS. It was overheating before I even got to the dyno. It overheated and spewed radiator fluid all over the place when I got on the dyno. After we let it cool down Chris started messing with the fan. He couldn't get the hi fan to stay on for more than 5 seconds. He took off the relay and the damn thing ran perfect. I called Ford and *****ed and they said to come in and they would fix the problem. I said no thanks, apparently when ya'll fix a problem you cause even more.

Mook

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.

I took the car in to the dealer this afternoon for them to check it out.

It took a few minutes to get over the usual BS of, you have installed an aftermarket water pump maybe thats the problem or your aftermarket gauge is wrong. Every Ford dealer has it's fair share of dumb asses.

Anyway they checked the car out and came back saying that the recall circuit breaker was faulty and they put on a new one.

I'm going to check tonight because the faulty one only had two terminals, if the new one has three I bet it's the same as YBEATU2 and they put on a 3.8 first time.

Thanks again.

Richard

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The suspense was killing me so I went out to the car and checked after posting the last comments.

Sure enough looks like they put the 3.8 circuit breaker on first time.

For those wondering how to tell, the 3.8 only had two terminals for the outside connections and was missing the center connection. It also had only one silver circuit breaker module sticking out of the plastic housing.

The new unit I have has all three terminals and two silver circuit breaker modules.

I would recommend that everyone check theirs to make sure.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts