Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem with my mustang.....again.Heres what happens ,I changed the alternator,starter solenoid,external regulator( 83 mustangs come with an external voltage regulator),starter,Cheap battery and battery cables because when I first got it it had a short I couldnt find, but my mechanic fixed it.Now when I jump start my car it starts up and runs great I can shut it off then start it up about 2 hours later with no problems but when the car sits overnight the battery is almost dead ,at about 10v's by morning this has happened once in a while only when its really cold out overnight and ever since I changed to the 87 and up style front end after rewiring the headlights.The car has also been sitting for about 4 months without starting while I waited to finish the bodywork and exhaust mods.I took the negative cable off and hooked a test light in between the cable and the negative battery post and it didnt light at all.I also did the test by unplugging the fuses and hooking a test light between the connectors and it did not light on anything including the circut breakers on the fuse panel and the blinker circuit.I just ordered a optima yellow top battery ,do you think it could be a short in the battery? any other help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
the radio and clock( If it has one) are hot all the time. maybe its in that wiring? Sounds like you have some sort of elec. draw. Unhook the+ bat. cable..Get a piece of 8 or 10 gague wire and hook up a ampmeter between the + post and the + cable after you shut it down...any draw should show as current movement on the meter....this is for test only....

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Either the alt isn't charging well, you have a draw, or you killed your battery from the last time you had problems. Batteries don't take well to being completely discharged. Once you get your battery, take the car to a parts store that can hook up your car and read alternator output. If that's good, then start searching for draws. Good luck.

Billy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts