Ford Mustang Forums banner

help me set a list for a future A-X car

854 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MUSTANGCOBRA1353 
#1 ·
I have a 91 LX, ex-4 cyl, that in the future I really want to take auto-x, its a goal, of course budget and family will put that in the future, but as I build it I want to keep the goal in sight and build it right. sofar this is what I have done, not much but its a start.

strange struts w/ 4 cyl springs up front, complete v8 spindle and brake setup too. BBK caster camber plates. The rear is still stock w/ 8.8 rear and drum brakes. I am also running 255/40/R17 toyo R-1's on 93 cobra replica rims

I plan to install the UMI subframe conectors, and hope to install a front and rear strut tower brace.

if you all could maybe help me with some parts/mods list for me, it would be cool, ty :)

#3 · (Edited)
You really need to decide what class you want to run in before buying any more parts. As it stands the Strange struts put you in Street Mod as will any subframe connectors, gears lower than 3.55 or any internal engine modifications. The springs you have on there are woefully inadequate as are the struts.

The first thing that I would recommend changing is the nut behind the wheel. The best thing you could invest in up front would be an autocross driving school. Other than that, go to an event and get some instruction from an experienced driver. Use what you have now and enter the Novice class. Once you have run a few events in Novice talk to other Mustang drivers and see what they recommend as for thoughtful changes depending on your class selection. If you want to be competitive you will need to invest in an extra set of wheels and race tires.

#4 ·
great idea on the class, I mod'd my car with a fuel cell, I fabbed and installed a box where the old spare tire was, I still have to fab the lid so it will be in a sealed compartment, how does this mod affect my autocross dreams?

#5 ·
Glenn said:
The best thing you could invest in up front would be an autocross driving school. Other than that, go to an event and get some instruction from an experienced driver. Use what you have now and enter the Novice class. Once you have run a few events in Novice talk to other Mustang drivers and see what they recommend as for thoughtful changes depending on your class selection. If you want to be competitive you will need to invest in an extra set of wheels and race tires.
Check the FAQ section at the top of the forum for addl resources.

Time behind the wheel is you best investment.

#6 ·
Tinner7 said:
great idea on the class, I mod'd my car with a fuel cell, I fabbed and installed a box where the old spare tire was, I still have to fab the lid so it will be in a sealed compartment, how does this mod affect my autocross dreams?

Hey, C Prepared is a fun class. Right, Glenn?

#7 ·
rfloz said:
Hey, C Prepared is a fun class. Right, Glenn?
No complaints here, but I wouldn't want to take it to Nationals! At the local level it's fun to smoke the Corvettes and Porsches with a street legal Mustang. :) Unfortunately one of my friends recently bought a GT3 and has learned to drive it. He nipped me by a tenth at the last AX but I was on burned out tires at the time. I got to drove the GT3 on two runs and with me never having driven any Porsche before I was able to top my best time by .4 seconds, it is an awesome car. I think the Z06 has met it's match in SS.

#8 ·
Glenn said:
No complaints here, but I wouldn't want to take it to Nationals! At the local level it's fun to smoke the Corvettes and Porsches with a street legal Mustang. :) Unfortunately one of my friends recently bought a GT3 and has learned to drive it. He nipped me by a tenth at the last AX but I was on burned out tires at the time. I got to drove the GT3 on two runs and with me never having driven any Porsche before I was able to top my best time by .4 seconds, it is an awesome car. I think the Z06 has met it's match in SS.

wow, sounds cool, now I know I want to autocross, am thinking more and more about looking into a differant car for it now though, was kicking back a brew (or two) with my buddies in the garage this weekend, and started thinking about how much I enjoy my car as a weekend driver, so I might look into gettting a good deal on a 94-95 stang for autocross

#9 ·
watch out some mods put you in the higher classes SM or CP. Sub frame connectors welded in will take you out of ESP or FS witch are better starter classes. Start in F Stock only cat back exhaust, front sway bar, Air filter in stock box and race tires on stock size rims. Easy on budget and you can improve driver skills first then pick a class.

John CP

#10 ·
yeah, that is why I think I might wait and see about picking up a more stock mustang, my LX is pretty moded as is now, and I like her just the way she is, but I know I want to autocross, so we'll see, and since the wife likes the new'r looks of the 2000-2004 stangs and the sn95's I might beable to pull one off :)

#12 ·
Use a ford. The sn95 is a great car. Mustang parts are cheap & you can support american cars. What else could you want. You can race stock (I recommend) or street prepaired. Street modified and prepaired are big money classes.
John 4 CP DC & Philly region.
#1 mod race tires. (Hoosier is my choice)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.