Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lost a vacuum brake booster and decided to ditch the system all together and go with the Skinny Kid MC and conversion kit. The car already had Aerospace Component front drag brakes and still has the stock drums in the rear.

This is a 93 Notchback. I installed the kit exactly as the instructions said and bled everything with no issues.

Please help me understand how a manual brake system is supposed to feel when you press the pedal. When I press down with the car just sitting, the pedal goes down slightly then the next press the pedal is hard and is up slightly from the first pump. The brake system holds the linelock fine and I can foot brake the car to at least 2K RPM so I am assuming everything is functioning corectly.

The thing is it takes an ass load :confused of brake pedal to get the car to stop and usually if I pump it once then press the brakes the car stops good.
I guess I can live with it since its a drag car but I just want to know its ok before taking it to the track.

Does this sound normal for a manual system? I also have a 10# residual valve for the rear drums like the kit says.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've got a Holcomb manual conversion which is similar,it just uses an oem master cylinder.It takes some descent pedal effort,but the feel is consistant,not like yours where it gets better after pumping it.Sounds like a bleeding problem might exist.Maximum Motorsports sells a brake pedal that your can adjust the amount of leverage on it that might help out with the pedal affort.Doesn't the Skinny Kid conversion relocate the master cylinder rod contact point on the pedal for less effort?Tim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the Skinny Kid conversion does relocate the piston rod point for better leverage. I had to drill a new hole above the old point according to the instructions.

I only have to pump once to get the pedal to feel right, but its not like it doesnt brake at all. I don't know what else to do because I bled the car twice and didnt see any bubbles.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Master

Welcome to the world of SKRC master's. It will always need a second pump to stop.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the post Toxic. Now that I think about it, when I ordered the kit, the person on the phone might have said something like that.

I ended up pulled the MC and bench bled again and bled the entire system, again...

Feels the exact same.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the SKRC deal with Aerospace on all 4 corners and it will stop on the first pumnp of the brake - if you have to. 99% of the time I will pump them before I get on them hard after a run.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Just throw the master cylinder away and go down to the parts store and buy an svo master cylinder they are only 40.00 and made from aluminum and still have the 1 1/8" bore works great for me and I have disk brakes all around factory type slotted GT front and slotted 98 Gt in the rear the pedal is firm on the first hit no pumping . You may need to buy some speed bleeders to make sure you have every last bubble out of the system as I did , Good luck hope this helps .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts