Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ran a new personal best at the local 1/8th mile...8.09 @ 86. My original goal this year was to get my car capable of a 12.99 quarter or better. Well I have eclipsed that, and keep looking forward, setting short term goals for the car. My new goal is to run a 7.99 or better in the 1/8th without removing the valve covers. I do have an E303 and a set of ported GT40s just sitting, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do (driving, or cheapo mods) that will help me get that 7.99.

Car:
1991 Mustang GT
Stock 302
AOD w/ TransGo Shift Kit (Stock Stall)
CAI
75mm MAF & 24lb injectors
65mm TB
Cobra Intake
U/D Pullies
Full Exhaust
NX 150 Wet Shot
4.10 Gears
M/T ET Streets 28x11.5x15
Swaybar unhooked, but not removed
No A/C, Smog, Spare, Rear Seats

I think that I could go with a shorter tire (27 or 26) and help my gear ratio out a little, but I'm a little shaky on ditching these tires because they are the first ones I have had consistency with (Nitto 275/40/17 before).

Here is my run this Friday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IaE88edlU

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
8 Posts
lighten up

Find some dead weight and remove it. There should some weight to take out.How important is that sway bar? Passenger front seat. These are temporary and easy. Just suggestions there are plenty of other places. Driveshaft? Just my two cents,

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find some dead weight and remove it. There should some weight to take out.How important is that sway bar? Passenger front seat. These are temporary and easy. Just suggestions there are plenty of other places. Driveshaft? Just my two cents,
I will be yanking the swaybar completely soon...just need to figure it out how to unhook it from that plastic piece up top.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I 60ft 1.80 - 1.82 consistantly. The battery is already in a box over the right rear. Right now I'm thinking about that swaybar, and maybe swapping the 17x9 Cobra Rs for a cheap set of skinnies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sway bar

If I remember correctly the nuts may turn inside of the plastic pieces you are talking about. I think you can break or pop the plastic piece off and hold the nuts with a vise grip, wrench, or pliers.

I would do the fat and skinnies maybe some 26 x 10 et drags.

Are you trying not to spend money. Have you done shocks struts other suspension mods?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Skinnies up front..... cheap (ie:borrow a set) long term- converter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My combo is about a carbon copy of yours, although I have an Edelbrock Performer intake, Cobra 1.7 rockers, and still 19 lb. injectors. Also, I run a 05115 NOS dry kit, at the track I ran a .059 jet, approx 110 shot or so, kinda gives me an idea of what mine would run with just some sticky tires in the back.
Nice times. Good luck with the 7.99.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Weight loss is always helpful. Skinnys up front may help, less rolling resistence. I really think some 26" slicks will help, especially with the AOD and stock stall, they'll let the motor rev up quicker. Run as much air pressure in the slicks as you can get away with, less rolling resistence. Does the shift kit allow you to manually shift 1,2,D, or do you do the "AOD shuffle". What rpm shifts?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the shift kit allow you to manually shift 1,2,D, or do you do the "AOD shuffle". What rpm shifts?
I manually shift it. Granted I only have 1, D, OD, I start in first revving against the converter (leaving at 1300rpm or so...tried to push it farther the last run but pushed through the light), then shift into DRIVE at 6k, then as soon as the tranny shifts into 2nd I put the gear selector back down into 1st to hold second gear, then put it back into DRIVE at 6k again.

ICE DOWN THE INTAKE!!! cheep, CONVERTER from edge best money spent!
I have been talking to a guy on here that has an edge converter for sale brand new, 3k stall 9.5". I was waiting for my financial aid to go through for college before I spent the money, but it just went through today!!! So I am thinking stall converter here i come!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Try shifting it a little lower, like 5600, my cat when it was close to yours went faster in the quarter shifting at 5500.
Len
Oh, I also agree that a convertor is your best bet

·
USAF retired
9,004 Posts
Is that 6K on the factory tach?

·
Registered
404 Posts
if you want to pick up a tenth the easy way.....pull the serpentine belt off....but avoid cranking the car before the run,get your burn out done quick and keep a eye on your temp gauge....after you make your pass you might have to put the belt back on when youre on the return road just depends how hot your motor gets....thats a tenth all day long plus icing down the intake has been known to pick up a tenth also...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts