Ford Mustang Forums banner

help me choose

8K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Impetuous 
#1 ·
i'm building a 410w EFI for my 90 coupe and I am having a hard time deciding which programmer to use. I am debating between:

1. $475 Microsquirt PNP from EFIsource
2. $839 MegaSquirt2 PNP from DIYautotune
3. $945 PiMPxs ms3 PNP from StingerPerformance

The car will be a 500hp NA street cruiser, that might see a small amount of nitrous some day, maybe.

i will be running 93 octane, 410w with a super victor EFI intake, 4150 throttle body and AFR205 renegade heads. Hydraulic lifter. MSD TFI distributor, Crane ignition box. 5 speed Manual Transmission.

--That being said, i think the microsquirt would likely do everything i need it to... ya know... run the motor. It has 12x12 fuel tables, 3 bar MAP, and fan control. People keep telling me ill eventually want more inputs and outputs... but i just dont know what for. This is the most wallet-friendly option.

--The Ms2pnp Megasquirt has all the same stuff as Micro, plus more. More inputs/outputs, 16x16 fuel tables, 4 bar MAP, and air conditioner controls.

--The PiMPxs is only $100 more than the ms2 and it uses ms3 with sequential fueling. I am tempted to go with this option because i assume the car would run better with the newest firmware and going to batch fire doesnt make too much sense to me. Its twice the price as Microsquirt, but it might be worth the investment. I just dont know if its a waste to pay extra for a bunch of features i wouldnt be using, just to get a few i would.

what do you think i should do?

See less See more
#4 ·
Ask AlexLTDLX or KEVIN$ how much time is involved in getting one of those systems to work. Google "problems with Megasquirt". There is even a Facebook page called "MegaSquirt sucks" dedicated to issues with that system. I guarantee you this: you will spend 1/10th the time, or less, getting the vehicle up and running great, not good, but GREAT with a Holley, Fast or Pro M system compared to anything MS has to offer. Can a MS system work? Sure, but be prepared to spend a few hundred hours to make it work right. Unless you have intimate knowledge with MS I would not touch one with a 100 foot pole. If your time is worth $0.00 the go ahead. Which is why I asked how much is your time is worth. If you have nothing better to do, go ahead, waste it, or save up a few bucks and get a real system and enjoy driving the car instead of screwing around trying to get a MS system to work right. Your call. After reading your other posts about the build, you obviously are not in a hurry, so you might as well spend another 3-6 months on it before you can enjoy it.

#18 ·
This may be true for a "generic" Megasquirt where there are hundreds of pages of documentation you have to sift through to find info for your particular application but it most certainly not the case for a plug and play product designed for your specific application.

The DIYPNP is a viable plug and play option but since I'm not that familiar with it's exact features/limitations, I can't say what it does/doesn't do. Some of the benefits of plug and play MS options is that all of this "sifting through info" is done for you and presented to you with only the pertinent information you need in an easy to understand format, with hardware already configured for your setup (no soldering), and in the case of the PiMPx/PiMPxs, it comes in a stock case so it will fit in the stock ECU hanger in the stock location in the kick panel. Actually, we've had multiple customers come use our products after spending way too much time with one of the more expensive products you mentioned above and being frustrated with the lack of support and information available from the above mentioned company to get it working properly.

Does that mean the PiMPx or any Megasquirt based plug and play option like the DIYPNP is perfect for everyone? No. But for people who are looking for a plug and play option with amazing support and all of the "bells and whistles" of the high dollar units for way less money, the PiMPx/PiMPxs and other PNP options are a good option.

#6 ·
If you have boost or nitrous, get the Holley. It will be cheaper than pistons.

If you have time and are patient and the engine is NA, get the MS.

#9 ·
No problem here with the MSPNP2, while the holley and fast are nice I couldn't justify the cost of either. Took about 8 hours to tune including the install of the wideband. The VE function helps a lot but you get that function when you upgrade the license.

#10 ·
An MSPNP is plug and play with the stock wiring. The issues with Alex and Kevin were mainly related to trying things with non-stock parts on a wire in system - for example, trying to drive a CDI coil with an inductive module, or adapting a non-Mustang IAC valve and a rather complicated plumbing arrangement, stuff you can run into on any standalone.

One thing to keep in mind here is that you're not just comparing ECU variants; you're comparing suppliers. Each of those ECUs you mentioned has different tech support teams behind them.

#12 ·
I like that the Stinger uses the Ford Harness. I also like that it uses a stock size box that fits in the stock location. It will do everything I need for at least half the price of the high dollar units.

I'm no racer, so this stuff isn't taking every last cent from my wallet.. It can do a lot for the money. Where do these people get all this money anyhow?? This hotrod stuff ain't cheap no matter what.

#16 ·
A universal MS2 can control a stepper IAC but would need mods added for TFI ignition and other features you might want.

The MSPNP Gen 2 uses a MicroSquirt Module at its core. We designed it so that it would be possible to make a stepper-equipped version, but this is not standard equipment and the MSPNP is not easily modified. It trades flexibility for ease of installation.

#17 ·
I purchased a PIMPxs for my NA 331 about three weeks ago, So far I'm really happy with it. With the included base tune I had the car drive-able within an hour. The registered version of Tuner Studio with analyze live is worth the money.

According to the instructions the PIMPxs will run a 4 wire GM iac, You would have to run your own wires from the expansion port on the pimp to the iac.

#24 ·
#27 ·
#30 ·
Definitely plug n play. Word of caution, the EFISource kit comes with a base “tune” that really needs attention. I thought it was good enough to start with that as a base and then realized I needed to ensure everything was reviewed and adjusted.

Reactions: rob
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.