Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 83 coupe that alreadt has a decant 8 point and mini tubbed. It was giving to me for FREE but its basically a shell with 90% full interior. Im looking to build a budget low 9 sec car, it will be fully gutted, cage will be converted to 12 point and I plan to run spray with a built C4 with brake. Now the question is what do do about a motor? I have access to a built 460, a original 429 Cobra Jet (need complete rebuild) and I also have access to a set of Yates cleveland heads that were off of a former ARCA car, titanium valves and all. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The yates/clevland head on a early 351 windsor/dart/frpp block with good parts and spray, any stroke would get you there.

BTW, that would be the lightest of the 3.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the yates considering they are aluminum. Im planning on a total race weight of around 2500-2600 with me.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Whats built about the 460? Supposedly stock 460 blocks can handle around 1k I think.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats built about the 460? Supposedly stock 460 blocks can handle around 1k I think.
It has forged pistons, worked heads and a decent cam.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The 460 probably isn't going to do it.It won't handle the amount of spray you would have to throw at it,with a stock rotating assembly and the heads probably won't get you there either.Same with the 429.The Yates heads are great,but your talking custom pistons,headers,etc.,stuff that isn't low budget.Still the Yates heads are probably the way to go IMO.Good luck!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking for now going with the 460, solid roller cam, vic jr. intake, BG or Quik fuel carb, full custom 4 inch exhaust into race bullits dumped, good ignition system, built C4 with transbrak and probably a 250 shot since I hear a 460 will handle that plus some.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
There should not be a reason why you cant build a 9 sec motor with a 460 N/A. Spraying will make it even easier. Now if you was thinking street lol will then you can come visit the post we are chatting about above. Raceallday1, seems pretty smart on the 351C stuff and 460.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You don't mention what kind of heads and compression on the 460.Both will be a major issue on what can be done with that combo.With a 250 shot your still going to have to make about 650fwhp on motor to make low 9's.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
to easy but not cheap... p-51 heads...545 ci stroker motor ..13-1 pistons ..h-beam rods..750 ish solid roller cam ..victor intake ..1050 dom carb...low 9 .,.may 8 sec car

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just offered a pretty nicely built 357 short block that has seen high 9s, but it needs freshened up. So now Im really confused on what Im doing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I thought he said he wanted to build on a budget. There is nothing budget about a yates headed setup.

Now the times we ran on motor were in a car 400 lbs heavier than you wanna be. (Times in sig). This was with a set of AFR's. A similar setup with a lighter car may yield the times you are looking for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts