Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got beautiful 92 notch been looking for one for a long time. Anyway if is a 347 stroker with a v2 vortech. This is the first super charged car I have ever had and it's all very new to me trying to learn as much as I can as soon as I can. Should have done the research before getting into this but it was a good deal and a mint car. From what I can see and feel even not ever being a boost guy the tune is off. It feels like it loads up with fuel at low rpms and as I get higher rpm it gets better. But my main concern is when in a high gear kinda lugging along I get a pinging obviously not good. From what the guy told me it has 42 lb injectors, I forget what he said about the fuel pump but it's a big one it has a fuel pressure gauge and as I get on it the pressure goes up near 80psi, it has the msd timing retard box with control (the knob with 1-3 on it). I obviously need a new tune and plan on doing it ASAP but do I need anything else before getting the tune done computer or electrical wise. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tell us more about the combo. Heads? Intake? Cam? Pulley sizes? Running an FMU? Current tuning set up (chip, PMS, aftermarket stand alone)?

Before you drive it much more and certainly before you see WOT, you should check the timing with the SPOUT out.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heads are aluminum ford racing I think the motor is one of the ford racing 347, intake is an Edelbrock Performer, don't know the cam, pully sizes are stock, fmu is fuel management unit I'm assuming not to sound like a dummy but not sure what that consists of, and I have to take the computer out to see if there is a chip that's what I'm assuming as well, thank you for the response

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I'm not having some crazy knock or anything, it's not like one of those knocks where it sounds like a diesel motor, it's just a high pitch metal ping sound like almost something tapping the exhaust, which I know detonation can sound like

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you're getting 80 psi of fuel pressure you more than likely have an fmu. What is your fuel pressure at idle?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At idle it is a little over 40 if I recall correctly, he was telling me it had some big pump on it 300 something liter I though

·
Registered
276 Posts
Post a picture of the engine bay. The FMU is usually mounted in a very visible location. Still need the pulley sizes and I would pull the computer to see if there is a chip.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
image.jpg

This is the only picture I ha e right now I'm at work and I will be here till 11:30 tonight

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes my plan this weekend is to pull the computer and check it out, I will also measure the pully size but I haven't seen boost higher than 6-7, he told me it was the pully that came on it, the 8lb pully but I will also measure it and post the size

·
Registered
916 Posts
First, welcome to the "blown" club.

The blue thing to the left of the blower tube(well, at the bottom of the pic you posted since it's sideways) on the fender is the FMU.
I think I can see one of the injectors and it looks to be green, so you have 42lb injectors.

First, ditch the 42's and FMU and get some 60 or 80lb injectors and a tune. All the FMU does is ramp the fuel pressure up with boost at a higher ratio than a stock fuel pressure regulator. Sounds like you have a 6:1 disc in there(raises fuel pressure 6lbs for every 1lb of boost).

For the MSD box, either unplug the knob or get a standard MSD box. You won't need the knob with a correct tune. I have a boost retard box in mine, but have the knob removed and just used a tune to command the correct timing.

That should solve your pinging and likely make it run a lot better overall.

You may also want to look into a powerpipe and mass air flow sensor. Not sure what sensor you have now, so you may not benefit from a bigger one, but I can clearly see the flex hose going from the MAF to the blower inlet.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thank you for all that info, I feel kinda like a dummy asking some of these questions. So you don't think the 42's are good enough? I want to stay within the limitations of the block not looking for crazy power just something safe reliable but has some nut to it. Also would a throttle body help, I'm not sure what one is on there but it looks pretty skimpy with how much it necks down from the air side

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mostly street some track time here and there, like I said it's a stock block so I want to stay within the limits of the block, I think with what I have I should be able to reach that 500 mark, but I will go less to be safe and reliable, I want to keep it a full interior and stock looking I like the sleeper look

·
Registered
916 Posts
42s are probably on the edge of being too small. I'm putting down about 435rwhp with 42s and I'm right at 80% duty cycle, if not a touch over. I would say 60s are cheap insurance with what you have and if your going to have it tuned, might as well sell the 42s and pick up some 60s before the tune session. Just my 2 pennies of advice.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do they make a fender mount intake tune that will incorporate the maf? I also noticed that the pinging is worse the hotter the car gets so maybe by cooling down the intake temp might help? I know that the stock gauges in the car don't mean much but when the car is running at a temperature it stabilizes at the needle is in the middle of the normal range. I know it could obviously be the gauge but my other car gauge never got that hot, and like I said the hotter it gets the worse it gets so maybe I ha e a cooling issue to address as well?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so I have a list of things I want to try this weekend

1. See if there is a chip in the computer (doubt from what some of you have said)

2. Check the plugs, what plugs are you guys running, I have read to drop temperature range so I would like to address that if they are not already cooler plugs

3. Check and possibly adjust the timing, I am from what I am reading a good place to start with 8 or so lbs is 10* base

4. See what thermostat I have and maybe get a cooler one to drop engine temps

I am still in the process of finding a tuner but would like to try and stop this pinging for the time being. I have not been driving the car and I am just hoping the previous owner or my self have not done to much damage to the engine already. I also want to order a wide band but as of right now I don't thing fuel is the issue with the 42lbs and the fmu but I could be completely wrong as I don't know to much, have been doing a ton or research the past few days

·
Registered
358 Posts
it has the msd timing retard box with control (the knob with 1-3 on it)
What is the timing retard set at? I had the same MSD timing box on a blower setup about 20 yrs ago. Obv there are many variables, but IIRC mine ran best and didn't ping when the knob was set to about 1.25 on pump gas

1 - 20 of 24 Posts